Bronco Bench Foundation

 

Pat Malley's induction into the WCC Hall of Honor

At this year's West Coast Conference Basketball Championship Tournament in Las Vegas, Nev., Santa Clara legend Pat Malley was inducted into the WCC Hall of Honor. The award was accepted by his daughter, Kimberley Malley Bellotti '79. She was accompanied by her daughter, Caitlin Bellotti '10 and niece Christina Malley '08.

From the Hall of Honor Brunch Program ~

In 1959, Santa Clara University turned to recent graduate and former football player George "Pat" Malley to resurrect its dormant football program. Over the course of the next 26 seasons, Malley firmly etched his name in Santa Clara history as Head Football Coach and as Athletic Director.

Pat Malley was a guard for the Broncos and was a freshman when Santa Clara shocked Bear Bryant's Louisville team in the 1950 Orange Bowl.

Malley guided Santa Clara to 141 victories as head coach. He was heralded as a great recruiter, coaching future NFL All-Pros Dan Pastorini, Brent Jones and Doug Cosbie. More importantly, he was loved, respected and deeply appreciated by each one of his players, who still speak of him today in reverent tones.

Among Malley's coaching accolades, he was named the Northern California College Coach of the Year in 1963, 1965, 1967 and 1980. His 1980 team advanced to the semifinals of the NCAA Division II playoffs, and in 1983, Malley was inducted into the Santa Clara Athletic Hall of Fame.

As Athletic Director, he was instrumental in the early years of the West Coast Athletic Conference - the precursor to the WCC. 

Malley passed away in 1985. Those who knew him remark about his ability to look into a person's eye and see his soul. They also fondly recall how he would point to the SC in the Santa Clara logo and emphasize that it also stands for "style and class," both of which he had in spades. In 1999, Malley was inducted into the San Jose Sports Hall of Fame.

In a very fitting tribute to honor his lasting legacy, the Pat Malley Fitness and Recreation Center at Santa Clara was built with donations from his former players.