Feb. 11, 2003
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The Santa Clara University men's tennis team defeated the University of Hawaii 5-2 this evening at the SCU Tennis Center and improve to 3-3 overall. The Warriors' three-match win streak ends as they move to 4-5 on the season.
Dating back to last season's 11-0 mark, and the 2003 season-opening victory over UC Santa Cruz, the Broncos increased their streak of home matches won to 13 with today's victory.
A 10-day hiatus between matches didn't slow the Broncos down, as they promptly swept the doubles competition. Senior Federico Mattioli and sophomore Taylor Bedilion stepped up from their usual No. 3 doubles position to win at the second doubles slot, 8-3 over Ryan Sceats and Jarrod Diepraam. Courts one and three had closer results, but the Broncos still prevailed to take a 1-0 lead heading into singles action.
Sophomore Francisco Zepponi was the first off the courts, giving the Broncos a 2-0 lead in the match with his 6-0, 6-3 defeat of Francisco Brignole. Junior Erich Chen clinched the match with his first victory of the dual match season, on the first court. He defeated Malino Oda 7-6, 7-5.
"Erich played really well today," SCU head coach George Husack said. "His opponent was making him hit shots and Erich stayed at it and kept attacking."
Hawaii closed out the match by avoiding the sweep, taking wins on the fourth and fifth courts.
The Broncos remain at the SCU Tennis Center for two matches this weekend, hosting Sacramento State on Saturday and UC Santa Barbara on Sunday. First serve for both matches is 1 p.m. The contest against the Hornets will be the second of a doubleheader feature the women's tennis team, also against Sacramento State.
1. Chen/Bruggemann (SCU) def. Oda/Menolascino (UH) 8-6
2. Mattioli/Bedilion (SCU) def. Sceats/Diepraam (UH) 8-3
3. Hidalgo/Zepponi (SCU) def. Moralejo/Brignole (UH) 9-8
1. Erich Chen (SCU) def. Malino Oda (UH) 7-6 (7), 7-5
2. Federico Mattioli (SCU) def. Justin Menolascino (UH) 7-6 (5), 7-5
3. Francisco Zepponi (SCU ) def. Francisco Brignole (UH) 6-0, 6-3
4. Reginaldo Moralejo (UH) def. Taylor Bedilion (SCU) 6-4, 6-7 (4), (11-9)
5. Ryan Sceats (UH) def. Michael Bruggemann (SCU) 7-5, 6-1
6. Ben Hidalgo (SCU) def. Jarrod Diepraam (UH) 7-5, 6-3