March 1, 2003
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The doubles duo of Ben Hidalgo and Francisco Zepponi saved four match points to defeat the Saint Mary's College team of Filip Sarovic and Martin Marechal in a tiebreaker to give the Santa Clara University men's tennis team a crucial points in doubles and propel the Broncos to a 5-2 victory over the Gaels today in a dual match at the SCU Tennis Center.
The Broncos improved to 4-6 on the season, while Saint Mary's fell to 2-9. Santa Clara returns to action on the road next weekend with dual matches at Portland and Washington.
Michael Bruggemann and Erich Chen were the first two Broncos off the court in singles. Bruggemann took a 6-1, 3-3 victory over Andre Sion and Chen rolled to a 6-1, 6-3 win over Saint Mary's junior Rafael Lopez.
Sophomore Taylor Bedilion clinched the match for the Broncos with a 6-2, 6-1 victory of Romain Lachens and Hidalgo added the final point with a 6-4, 4-6, 10-5 victory in a three-set tiebreaker match.
"Our guys really competed today, particularly to earn the doubles point," said Head Coach George Husack. "It is so crucial to get off to a good start and enter singles with momentum. We focused on that and Ben and Francisco came through with a huge match.
"Ben's singles win, although it ended-up not being as meaningful in the team score, was impressive since he battled against a pretty solid player in Andre Sion. Taylor's match to clinch was big and and I was really pleased how he really laid it all out there today."
The match of the day was the doubles dual at the No. 3 position between Santa Clara's Hidalgo/Zepponi and Sarovic/Marechal. The Bronco duo survived four match points, including one at 8-7 and three during the 9-7 tiebreaker to earn the 9-8 ictory and clinch the doubles point for Santa Clara.
Santa Clara 5, Saint Mary's 2 Santa Clara Tennis Center Weather: Clear, slight wind, 60 degrees
1. Thomas Burgemeister (SMC) def. Francisco Zepponi (SCU), 6-0, 6-3
2. Erich Chen (SCU) def. Rafael Lopez (SMC), 6-1, 6-3
3. Taylor Bedilion (SCU) def. Romain Lachens (SMC), 6-2, 6-1
4. Martin Marechal (SMC) def. Federico Mattioli (SCU), 3-6, 6-3, (14-12)
5. Ben Hidalgo (SCU) def. Andre Sion (SMC), 6-4, 4-6 (10-5)
6. Michael Bruggemann (SCU) def. Filip Sarovic (SMC), 6-1, 3-3 (ret.)
1. Bruggemann / Chen (SCU) def. Sion / Lachens (SMC), 8-5
2. Burgemeister / J.J. Whitlinger (SMC) def. Bedilion / Mattioli (SCU), 8-0
3. Hidalgo / Zepponi (SCU) def. Sarovic / Marechal (SMC), 9-8 (7)
Santa Clara: 4-6
Saint Mary's: 2-9