March 15, 2003
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The Santa Clara University men's tennis team shut out Gonzaga 7-0 this afternoon at the SCU Tennis Center. The Broncos' record improves to 6-9 overall, 3-2 in the WCC. Gonzaga moves to 2-11, 0-3.
"Everybody came out today and took care of business," SCU assistant coach Brett Masi said.
Santa Clara earned the doubles point with solid victories on the first and third courts. Erich Chen and Michael Bruggemann combined for an 8-0 win over Gonzaga's Bryce Cooper and Drew Ernst. Broncos Federico Mattioli and Taylor Bedilion recorded an 8-2 win to clinch the doubles point. Although the skies were clear when the teams began the match, the teams did not want the forecasted rainy weather to impede, so as soon as Santa Clara clinched, the match in progress on the second court was stopped.
The weather held out, allowing the teams to finish all singles matches. Santa Clara swept, led by freshman Ted Blosser's 6-1, 6-1 victory on court six in his first dual match of the spring season. Ben Hidalgo's victory on the next court gave SCU a 3-0 match lead, while Mattioli followed with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Ernst to clinch the Broncos' sixth win of the season.
After winning the first set 6-3, Chen found himself down 5-6 in the second against Cooper, before rallying to win the next game and then winning the tiebreaker 7-3. That victory ensured that all the Broncos did not cede a single set on the afternoon.
The Broncos remain at home and host the Air Force Academy on Sunday, March 23 at noon. Just prior to that, Santa Clara will host a Bronco Alumni Invitational, on Saturday, March 22. RSVPs already include Lars Nelson, Scott Watters and Marcell Hlousek from the class of 2000, as well as Greg Fox '97 and Ryan Pang '98. For details on that special event, please Click Here.
1. Chen/ Michael Bruggemann (SCU) def. Cooper/Ernst (GON) 8-0
2. Hidalgo/Zepponi (SCU) vs. Arthur/Penney (GON) SCU leading 7-4, DNF
3. Mattioli/Bedilion (SCU) def. Whitney/Cunningham (GON) 8-2
1. Erich Chen (SCU) def. Bryce Cooper (GON) 6-3, 7-6 (3)
2. Francisco Zepponi (SCU) def. Shaun Whitney (GON) 6-1, 6-2
3. Federico Mattioli (SCU) def. Drew Ernst (GON) 6-3, 6-2
4. Taylor Bedilion (SCU) def. Reid Arthur (GON) 6-1, 6-2
5. Ben Hidalgo (SCU) def. Robert Penney (GON) 6-3, 6-3
6. Ted Blosser (SCU) def. Brendan Cunningham (GON) 6-1, 6-1