April 7, 2003
MORAGA, Calif. - The Santa Clara University men's tennis team fell to Saint Mary's 4-3 this evening in West Coast Conference action at the Timothy Korth Tennis Complex in Moraga. Santa Clara's record moves to 7-13 overall, 3-5 in the league. The Gaels improve to 7-14, 3-2.
The Broncos swept doubles play to take a 1-0 lead in the match, but then five of the six singles matches went to third sets in this five-hour battle against two long-time league rivals.
Saint Mary's rebounded with a win on the fourth singles court to even the match at one all. Santa Clara answered, with a strong match from Taylor Bedilion, who defeated Rafael Lopez 6-2, 0-6, 6-2 . Saint Mary's then took a match on court six to even the match a second time. The Broncos' Erich Chen won at No. 1 in yet another three-set battle. A victory for the Gaels on court two even the match again, at 3-3.
The match came down to court five, with Andre Sion earning a 7-6 (4), 6-7 (2), 6-1 victory over SCU's Ben Hidalgo for the team win.
"This was a tough one," SCU head coach George Husack said. "We need to bounce back and get after it tomorrow against UOP."
Santa Clara will close the regular season at home tomorrow, hosting Pacific at 2 p.m. at the SCU Tennis Center. The Broncos will honor two seniors playing in their last home match, Michael Bruggemann and Federico Mattioli.
1. Chen/Bruggemann (SCU) def. Lachens/Lopez (SMC) 8-5
2. Rick Ruso /Zepponi (SCU) def. Burgemeister/J.J. Whitlinger (SMC) 8-6
3. Mattioli/Bedilion (SCU) def. Sion/ Marechal (SMC) 8-6
1. Erich Chen (SCU) def. Thomas Burgemeister (SMC) 7-6 (3), 3-6, 6-3
2. Romain Lachens (SMC) def. Francisco Zepponi (SCU) 6-7 (6), 6-3, 6-1
3. Taylor Bedilion (SCU) def. Rafael Lopez (SMC) 6-2, 0-6, 6-2
4. Martin Marechal (SMC) def. Federico Mattioli (SCU) 6-1, 7-5
5. Andre Sion (SMC) def. Ben Hidalgo (SCU) 7-6 (4), 6-7 (2), 6-1
6. Filip Sarovic (SMC) def. Michael Bruggemann (SCU) 3-6, 6-2, 6-4