April 13, 2003
SAN DIEGO, Calif. - The Santa Clara University men's tennis team fell to Portland 4-2, and finished the West Coast Conference Championship in sixth place. The Broncos, seeded fifth in the tournament, finish the 2003 season with a 9-15 overall record. The tournament was hosted by the University of San Diego at the newly-renovated West Courts.
"I'm very proud of these guys and the courage they showed the entire year," head coach George Husack said. "We're not happy with the way we finished, but will take this season as motivation for a stronger season next year."
Doubles were not played today, as rainy weather hit San Diego earlier this morning.
Junior Erich Chen battled from being down a set and two break points to earn a 2-6, 6-4, 6-1 victory over Peter Malacek at the top singles spot. Senior Federico Mattioli closed out his Bronco career with a win on the third court.
Chen and sophomore Taylor Bedilion, who did not play today due to injury, earned All-WCC honorable mention honors in singles.
1. Erich Chen (SCU) def. Peter Malacek (PORT) 2-6, 6-4, 6-1
2. Roman Borvanov (PORT) def. Francisco Zepponi (SCU) 6-2, 3-6, 6-3
4. Federico Mattioli (SCU) def. Ramiro Hernandez (PORT) 6-2, 6-4
5. Quinn Borchard (PORT) def. Rick Ruso (SCU) 6-3, 6-1
3. James Redpath (PORT) def. Michael Bruggemann (SCU) 6-1, 3-6, 6-3
6. Peter Miskovic (PORT) def. Ted Blosser (SCU) 6-3, 6-1