Jan. 22, 2005
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The Santa Clara University men's tennis team completed the sweep of its opening day doubleheader with a 6-1 victory over UC Davis at the Degheri Tennis Center on Saturday afternoon. After being delayed by over an hour due to fog and already defeating UC Santa Cruz in the morning, the Broncos posted their second win of the day to improve to 2-0 on the year.
"It was a very long day overall," said Bronco head coach George Husack. "Our guys fought hard all the way through. It is very nice to get off to a strong start like this."
For the second straight match, the Broncos swept the double matches to win the first point of the contest. Taylor Bedilion and Jan Macek won the first match 8-3 before Bobby Rasmussen and Ben Hidalgo clinched the point with a 8-4 win. Eric Kochanski and Francisco Zepponi the completed the sweep with a 8-4 victory.
In singles action, Macek earned the Bronco's second point of the day with a 6-2, 7-5 win over Jayce Fitch. A.J. Kerin would be the next match to finish as he posted a 6-2, 6-1 victory over Jordan Combs.
Kochanski clinched the match victory for the Bronco's as he defeated Henri Landes by a 6-3, 6-3 margin. Zepponi would give SCU its fifth point of the match with a 6-3, 7-6 (12-10) win over Daniel Elefant. Bedilion then earned a victory in the top singles spot as he won the match in the third set. He defeated Michael Chin, 6-2, 0-6, 6-4. The only Bronco loss of the contest would come at the hands of Daniel Furman, as he posted a 6-4, 6-1 win over Rasmussen.
Santa Clara heads to Berkeley on Tuesday for a 1:30 p.m. match-up with California. The Broncos will return to the Degheri Tennis Center on February 17 for a West Coast Conference showdown with San Francisco. Match time is set for 2:30 p.m.
1. Bedilion/Macek (SCU) def. Chin/Bartels (UCD) - 8-3
2. Zepponi/Kochanski (SCU) def. Conbs/McMakin (UCD) - 8-4
3. Hidalgo/Wilson (SCU) def. Furman/Garcia (UCD) - 8-4
1. Taylor Bedilion (SCU) def. Michael Chin (UCD) - 6-2, 0-6, 6-4
2. Jan Macek (SCU) def. Jayce Fitch (UCD) - 6-2, 7-5
3. Francisco Zepponi (SCU) def. Daniel Elefant (UCD) - 6-3, 7-6 (12-10)
4. Eric Kochanski (SCU) def. Henri Landes (UCD) - 6-3, 6-3
5. Daniel Furman(UCD) def. Bobby Rasmussen (SCU) - 6-4, 6-1
6. A.J. Kerin (SCU) def. Jordan Combs (UCD) - 6-2, 6-1