Pepperdine Bests Men's Tennis in WCC Opener
Jan. 29, 2005
MALIBU, Calif. - The Santa Clara University men's tennis team dropped a 7-0 decision to 27th-ranked Pepperdine on Saturday afternoon at the Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center. Santa Clara falls to 2-2 on the season, 0-1 in West Coast Conference action. The Waves improve to 3-1, 2-0.
Although the Broncos were swept in doubles, two tandems took Pepperdine to 8-6 matches, including Taylor Bedilion and Jan Macek in the top slot against 26th-ranked Pedro Rico and Scott Doerner. The Waves went on to win all singles matches without dropping a set. Bedilion and Macek faced Rico and Doerner, respectively, in singles, where both Wave players are also ranked nationally.
Santa Clara will continue action this weekend at UC Irvine on Sunday. The Broncos will return home on February 17 for a showdown with league rival San Francisco. Match time is set for 2:30 p.m. at the Degheri Tennis Center.
1. No. 26 Rico/Doerner (PEP) def. Bedilion/Macek (SCU) 8-6
2. Lovrak/Berg (PEP) def. Zepponi/Kochanski (SCU) 8-2
3. Rafidison/Kevin Borzenski (PEP) def. Ben Hidalgo /Rasmussen (SCU) 8-6
1. No. 13 Pedro Rico (PEP) def. Taylor Bedilion (SCU) 6-1, 6-3
2. No. 88 Scott Doerner (PEP) def. Jan Macek (SCU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Ivor Lovrak (PEP) def. Francisco Zepponi (SCU) 6-0, 7-6 (1)
4. Jonas Berg (PEP) def. Eric Kochanski (SCU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Alexis Rafidison (PEP) def. Bobby Rasmussen (SCU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Richard Johnson (PEP) def. A.J. Kerin (SCU) 6-2, 7-6 (3)