Feb. 19, 2005
PLEASANTON, Calif. -- Following a full day of waiting out the rain, the Santa Clara University men's tennis team moved indoors and dropped a 5-1 dual match decision to the University of Utah Saturday night at Club Sport in Pleasanton, Calif.
The Broncos fell to 3-4 on the season, while Utah remained undefeated with a perfect 6-0 record. Santa Clara returns to action Monday against UC Santa Barbara at the Degheri Tennis Center. In the event of inclement weather, the match will be moved indoors to Club Sport at noon.
Santa Clara freshman Tyler Wilson (Medford, Ore.) was the Broncos' lone winner in the match, taking a hard fought 4-6, 7-5, 6-3 victory over Utah's Dan Mascall at the number six seed.
"I certainly felt we played hard and competed," said SCU head coach George Husack. "Utah has a very good team and they came at us hard right from the start. They play indoors most of their season, while we don't have a lot of experience in this environment. That's not an excuse, but I think it did contribute a little to the course of events in the match. It was a long day for both teams after not being able to play outdoors at earlier today as planned."
SCU's top two seeds both lost close matches with Jan Macek dropping a three-set, 7-6 (5), 5-7, 6-1 decision at the number two position to Utah's Zach Granger. Taylor Bedilion battled to a 7-6 (7), 6-4 setback at the top spot.
University of Utah 5, Santa Clara University 1
Date: Saturday, February 19, 2005
Time: 7 p.m.
Site: Club Sport, Pleasanton, Calif.
1. Tomasz Grzyb (Utah) def. Taylor Bedilion (SCU), 7-6 (7), 6-4
2. Zach Ganger (Utah) def. Jan Macek (SCU), 7-6 (5), 5-7, 6-1
3. Miron Mann (Utah) def. Francisco Zepponi (SCU), 6-2, 6-4
4. Nick Coutts (Utah) def. Eric Kochanski (SCU), 7-5, 6-2
5. Ryan Scott (Utah) def. Bobby Rasmussen (SCU), 6-2, 6-2
6. Tyler Wilson (SCU) def. Dan Mascall (Utah), 4-6, 7-5, 6-3
1. Ganger / Mann (Utah) vs. Bedilion / Macek (SCU), dnp
2. Coutts / Jason Yap (Utah) vs. Kochanski / Zepponi (SCU), dnp
3. Grzyb / Rian Rifkin (Utah) vs. Hidalgo / Rasmussen (SCU), dnp
Santa Clara: 3-4