Feb. 25, 2005
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The Santa Clara University men's tennis team dropped a 4-3 decision to No. 57 Fresno State this afternoon at the Wathen Tennis Center in Fresno. The Broncos are now 4-5 on the season. The Bulldogs won their 20th straight home match improve to 7-1.
All three of the Broncos' points came in singles, during super tiebreakers in the third set. Taylor Bedilion led the charge with a win on court two, and Bobby Rasmussen and A.J. Kerin followed at the bottom of the line-up.
"Fresno's a tough opponent at home we did not play well in doubles to start the match," head coach George Husack said. "They have a strong home streak going and one can't give in and let them have the early doubles point. I am, though, very happy with the way we finished; I think it will carry over to tomorrow."
Santa Clara will remain in Fresno and play 33rd-ranked Rice on Saturday at 2 p.m. The Broncos will also play at San Francisco on March 2 prior to returning home to the Degheri Center to open a three-match homestand against Hawaii on March 4.
1. Cech/Modoc (FSU) def. Bedilion/Macek (SCU) 8-3
2. Irie/Mascheroni (FSU) def. Zepponi/Kochanski (SCU) 8-2
3. Sinn/Sam Gibbs (FSU) def. Ben Hidalgo /Rasmussen (SCU) 8-6
1. Jakub Cech (FSU) def. Jan Macek (SCU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Taylor Bedilion (SCU) def. Sergiu Modoc (FSU) 6-3, 2-6, 1-0 (10-3)
3. Charles Irie (FSU) def. Francisco Zepponi (SCU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Andy Sinn (FSU) def. Eric Kochanski (SCU) 6-2, 6-4
5. Bobby Rasmussen (SCU) def. Nicolas Mascheroni (FSU) 7-5, 6-7 (5), 1-0 (11-9)
6. A.J. Kerin (SCU) def. Sam Tadevosian (FSU) 2-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-8)