March 5, 2005
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The Santa Clara University men's tennis team scored a 4-3 victory over Hawaii this afternoon at the Degheri Tennis Center. The Broncos are now 5-7 on the season. The Rainbow Warriors fall to 3-6.
The teams split the first two doubles matches, and Santa Clara held a 6-3 lead on the third doubles court. However, Hawaii rallied to win six of the next eight games to clinch the doubles point.
In singles, Santa Clara scored two decisive wins by Bobby Rasmussen and A.J. Kerin to take a 2-1 match lead. Hawaii regained the lead with two come-from-behind victories on courts two and three. Santa Clara evened the match at 3-3 with Taylor Bedilion's 4-6, 6-3, 6-4 win over Dali Ptak at the top singles position. Eric Kochanski clinched the team victory with his three-set win on court four.
The Broncos will returns to action on Sunday, March 13, to take on Oregon. The match is scheduled for noon at the Degheri Center.
1. Ptak/Lajola (HAWAII) def. Kochanski/Macek (SCU) 8-3
2. Bedilion/Zepponi (SCU) def. Sceats/Diepraam (HAWAII) 8-5
3. Weinberg/Faulk (HAWAII) def. Chris Iwamura/Blane Shields (SCU) 8-6
1. Taylor Bedilion (SCU) def. Dali Ptak (HAWAII) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
2. Bryon Weinberg (HAWAII) def. Jan Macek (SCU) 4-6, 7-5, 6-2
3. Ryan Sceats (HAWAII) def. Francisco Zepponi (SCU) 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
4. Eric Kochanski (SCU) def. Jarrod Diepram(HAWAII) 6-7(4), 7-5, 6-2
5. Bobby Rasmussen (SCU) def. Chad Faulk (HAWAII) 6-0, 6-0
6. A.J. Kerin (SCU) def. Derrick Lajola (HAWAII) 6-1, 6-1