April 9, 2005
SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. - The Santa Clara University men's tennis team dropped a 6-1 decision to Cal Poly this afternoon in San Luis Obispo. The Broncos are now 10-9 on the season and the Mustangs even their mark to 11-11.
Cal Poly won the doubles point with a tiebreaker on the third court. The Mustangs then won five of six singles matches, including two come-from-behind victories on courts four and six.
Bobby Rasmussen scored the Broncos' lone point at No. 5 singles with a 6-2, 6-3 win over David Jones.
Santa Clara will return home next Saturday for its final home matches of the regular season. The Broncos will host a doubleheader at the Degheri Tennis Center with a contest against UC San Diego at 10 a.m., followed by a match against Sacramento State at 2:30 p.m. The Broncos will honor its senior class of four on that day. Admission to home tennis matches is free.
1. Van Linge/Nguyen (CP) def. Kochanski/Rasmussen (SCU) 8-1
2. Zepponi/Bedilion (SCU) def. Crawford/Jones (CP) 9-7
3. Baca/Dewitte (CP) def. Ben Hidalgo /Macek (SCU) 9-8 (2)
1. John Nguyen (CP) def. Taylor Bedilion (SCU) 6-2, 6-0
2. Matt Baca (CP) def. Jan Macek (SCU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Fred Dewitte (CP) def. Eric Kochanski (SCU) 6-4, 5-7, 6-1
4. Brett Van Linge (CP) def. Francisco Zepponi (SCU) 5-7, 6-4, 6-2
5. Bobby Rasmussen (SCU) def. David Jones (CP) 6-2, 6-3
6. Travis Crawford (CP) def. A.J. Kerin (SCU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-2