Men's Tennis Bests UC San Diego 6-1
April 16, 2005
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The Santa Clara University men's tennis team earned a 6-1 decision over UC San Diego this afternoon at the Degheri Tennis Center. The Broncos are now 11-9 on the season and the Tritons, ranked 20th in Division II, fall to 13-6.
Senior Francisco Zepponi recorded his 12th dual match victory of the season with his 6-1, 7-5 win over Seth Spector at No. 3 singles. Zepponi now has 72 career singles wins, tying for the program's all-time best with current assistant coach Erich Chen, who set the current standard last season. Zepponi will attempt to post a new mark when the Broncos return to the courts this afternoon with the second match of the doubleheader, against Sacramento State at 2:30 p.m.
In singles, Kochanski extended his team's lead with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Brent Modlen at No. 2 singles. Zepponi's win followed, and freshman A.J. Kerin clinched the team victory with a 6-4, 6-4 win at the fifth singles position. Rasmussen and Tyler Wilson followed with three-set victories.
"This was a good way to start a long day," SCU head coach George Husack said.
The Tritons' lone point of the afternoon came at the top singles position with Bryan Swatt's 6-3, 7-6 victory.
1. Bryan Swatt (UCSD) def. Jan Macek (SCU) 6-3, 7-6 (6)
2. Eric Kochanski (SCU) def. Brent Modlen (UCSD) 6-2, 6-2
3. Francisco Zepponi (SCU) def. Seth Spector (UCSD) 6-1, 7-5
4. Bobby Rasmussen (SCU) def. Erik Oijala (UCSD) 3-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-8)
5. A.J. Kerin (SCU) def. Blake Meister (UCSD) 6-4, 6-4
6. Tyler Wilson (SCU) def. Will Phan (UCSD) 4-6, 6-3, 7-5