Jan. 21, 2006
Los Angeles, Calif. - The Santa Clara men's tennis team played their first road match of the season and despite the best efforts of freshmen Brian Brogan and Tommy Hicks, No. 20 Southern California posted a 5-2 victory this morning. After capturing the doubles point, the Trojans continued their assault on the Broncos, taking wins at the first four positions of the line-up. Despite the outcome, head coach George Husack is optimistic about his team's performance.
"We had a lot of great energy to start the doubles and singles, and we created a lot of opportunities for ourselves," said Santa Clara head coach George Husack. "I was happy with our solid play and it was a good match for us to learn from. We will be back out on the courts tomorrow against Cal, giving it our best shot."
In doubles action, Santa Clara was able to capture a hard-fought victory at the No. 1 position, as Jan Macek and Bobby Rasmussen took out Dejan Cvetkovic and Chong Wang 9-8 (7-5). However, USC was able to secure the doubles point after posting wins at the remaining spots.
Santa Clara continued to fight hard despite the early 1-0 deficit and the freshmen paved the way for a bright future with their victories at the lower end of the singles ladder. On Court 5, Brogan triumphed over Chong Wang, 6-3, 6-0, while Hicks blew away Aaron Badart at the No. 6 slot 6-2, 6-0. USC was able to counter the efforts of SCU's fabulous freshmen by taking four wins at positions No. 1 through No. 4, accounting for the final margin.
The Broncos drop their record to 2-1 on the year. Santa Clara returns to action tomorrow morning, when it travels across the Bay to take on No. 19 California for a 9:30 a.m. match-up.
Southern California 5, Santa Clara 2
Doubles (Southern California wins the doubles point)
1. Jan Macek/Bobby Rasmussen (SCU) def. Dejan Cvetkovic/Chong Wang (USC), 9-8 (7-5)
2. Whit Livingston/Kaes Von't Hof (USC) def. Kevin McQuaid/Blane Shields (SCU), 8-4
3. Adam Loucks/Garrett Snyder (USC) def. Brian Brogan/A.J. Kerin (SCU), 8-4
1. Dejan Cvetkovic (USC) def. Jan Macek (SCU), 6-2, 6-4
2. Kaes Van't Hof (USC) vs. Kevin McQuaid (SCU), 6-0, 6-0
3. Adam Loucks (USC) def. Blane Shields (SCU), 6-3, 6-3
4. Garrett Snyder (USC) def. Bobby Rasmussen (SCU), 6-3, 6-4
5. Brian Brogan (SCU) def. Chong Wang (USC), 6-3, 6-0
6. Tommy Hicks (SCU) def. Aaron Badart (USC), 6-2, 6-0