Jan. 22, 2006
Berkeley, Calif. - The Santa Clara men's tennis team received a spirited effort from their doubles team and solid play in singles, but were unable to overcome a deep California squad, falling in Berkeley, Calif. this morning 6-1. The 19th-ranked Golden Bears were able to overcome a difficult doubles challenge from the Broncos to ultimately claim the contest. Freshman Brian Brogan once again impressed everyone by easily winning his singles match, going 4-0 this season in dual matches.
The doubles was tightly contested, with two of the three matches going the distance. Santa Clara's Kevin McQuaid and Blane Shields posted a 9-7 victory on Court 2 over Lennart maack and Daniel Sebescen, while California countered with a 9-8 (1) triumph at the No. 1 spot, with Conor Niland and Eoin Heavey defeating Bobby Rasmussen and Jan Macek. The Golden Bears captured the all-important doubles point after Tyler Browne and Dean Wallace took out Brian Brogan and A.J. Kerin at the No. 3 spot by a score of 8-3.
In singles, Brogan was the lone bright spot for the Broncos, as he dismissed Eoin Heavey at the No. 5 position 6-2, 6-2. On Court 1, Niland defeated Macek 6-1, 6-1, while on the other showcourt, Maack took down McQuaid 6-3, 6-2. At the No. 3 position, Sebescen triumphed over Shields 6-3, 6-0 and at the No. 4 spot, Nakahara turned back Rasmussen 6-2, 7-5. Finally over on Court 6, John Pettit overcame Hicks 6-3, 7-6 (3).
"We competed pretty well in singles after missing out on the opportunity in doubles. The energy continued not only from our players but also the fans that traveled to berkeley. At some points it was as if we were back home," commented head coach George Husack. "Cal is a solid team. We were right there with them but they are the better team right now. We have room for growth and this weekend's experience has given us a good picture on what to improve on. We'll have our big day soon."
The Broncos even their record to 2-2 on the year. Santa Clara returns to action on Wednesday, when the University of Hawai'i visits the Degheri Tennis Center. Game time is set for 2:30 p.m.
No. 19 California 6, Santa Clara 1
Doubles (California wins the doubles point)
1. Conor Niland/Eoin Heavey( CAL) def. Bobby Rasmussen/Jan Macek (SCU), 9-8 (1)
2. Kevin McQuaid/Blane Shields (SCU) def. Lennart Maack/Daniel Sebescen (CAL), 9-7
3. Tyler Browne/Dean Wallace (CAL) def. Brian Brogan/A.J. Kerin (SCU), 8-3
1. Conor Niland (CAL) d. Jan Macek (SCU), 6-1; 6-1
2. Lennart Maack (CAL) d. Kevin McQuaid (SCU), 6-3; 6-2
3. Daniel Sebescen (CAL) d. Blane Shields (SCU), 6-3; 6-0
4. Ken Nakahara (CAL) d. Bobby Rasmussen (SCU), 6-2; 7-5
5. Brian Brogan (SCU) d. Eoin Heavey (CAL), 6-2; 6-2
6. John Pettit (CAL) d. Tommy Hicks (SCU), 6-3; 7-6 (3)