Jan. 25, 2006
Santa Clara, Calif. - Right before a long road trip ahead of them, the Santa Clara men's tennis team returned home for a dual match against another West Coast rival and came out victorious this afternoon, scoring a 4-3 victory over visiting Hawai'i at the Degheri Tennis Center. Bobby Rasmussen led the charge today, as he was able to pull out a singles and doubles victory to help his team towards the winning total.
In doubles action, Kevin McQuaid paired up with Blane Shields to score an impressive 8-2 victory over Sascha Heinemann and Derrick Lajola at the No. 2 spot, while Brian Brogan and Chris Iwamura dropped a close 8-6 decision to Jeff Fitch and Bryon Weinberg over at the No. 3 position. With the doubles point hinging on the play from Court 1, Jan Macek and Bobby Rasmussen came from behind to take the 8-5 triumph over over Jarrod Diepraam and Ryan Sceats, giving Santa Clara the early 1-0 lead.
Brogan was the first off the court in singles for Santa Clara, as he dismantled Lajola 6-1, 6-1 at the No. 4 spot for his fifth straight dual match victory. Tommy Hicks extended the Bronco lead to 3-0 after defeating Jeff Fitch on Court 6 by a score of 6-4, 6-3 and Rasmussen clinched the match with his 6-1, 7-5 win over Jarrod Diepraam at the No. 5 position. Hawai'i was able to prevent a sweep, as the Rainbow Warriors won matches on Courts 1, 2, and 3 to account for the final margin.
The Broncos improve their record to 3-2 on the year, while the Rainbow Warriors fall to 0-2. Santa Clara returns to action on Saturday afternoon when it travels to Eugene, Ore. to face Oregon for a 3 p.m. showdown.
Santa Clara 4, Hawai'i 3
Doubles (Santa Clara wins the doubles point)
1. Jan Macek/Bobby Rasmussen (SCU) def. Jarrod Diepraam/Ryan Sceats (HAW), 8-5
2. Kevin McQuaid/Blane Shields (SCU) def. Sascha Heinemann/Derrick Lajola (HAW), 8-2
3. Jeff Fitch/Bryon Weinberg (HAW) def. Brian Brogan/Chris Iwamura (SCU), 8-6
1. Sascha Heinemann (HAW) def. Jan Macek (SCU), 6-4, 6-3
2. Bryon Weinberg (HAW) def. Kevin McQuaid (SCU), 7-6, 7-6
3. Ryan Sceats (HAW) def. Blane Shields (SCU), 6-1, 7-6
4. Brian Brogan (SCU) def. Derrick Lajola (HAW), 6-1, 6-1
5. Bobby Rasmussen (SCU) def. Jarrod Diepraam (HAW), 6-1, 7-5
6. Tommy Hicks (SCU) def. Jeff Fitch (HAW), 6-4, 6-3