Jan. 28, 2006
Eugene, Ore. - The Santa Clara men's tennis team received two victories on the backend of the singles line-up from Tommy Hicks and Bobby Rasmussen, but it was not enough to defeat No. 70 Oregon up in Eugene, Ore. this afternoon, as the Broncos dropped a 5-2 decision to the host Ducks.
It is unfortunate about the loss and we had some close matches with several opportunities today. We played a little bit too reactive," said Husack. "We have to learn to be more aggressive and more proactive in our approach in practices. We have to work harder if we want to capitalize on opportunities like this."
To start off the afternoon, Oregon captured the doubles point after securing two victories, with Arron Spencer and Markus Schiller defeating Bobby Rasmussen and Jan Macek 8-4 at the No. 1 spot, while Mike Myrhed and Gustavo Loza beat Brian Brogan and A.J. Kerin 8-4 on Court 3. Santa Clara avoided the sweep with Kevin McQuaid and Blane Shields' 8-5 victory at the No. 2 position.
Despite the early 1-0 deficit, the Broncos fought hard in singles and put up a good fight. Hicks easily dismissed Loza 6-3, 6-2 at the No. 6 position to tie up the score, but then the Ducks regained the momentum after Bieri took out McQuaid 6-4, 6-4 on Court 2 and Spencer beat Brogan on at the No. 3 spot 6-2, 6-4. Oregon clinched the match after Myrhed triumphed over Shields on Court 4 with a 6-4, 6-4 win. Rasmussen overcame a first-set loss at the No. 5 spot to take out Erick Pickard 5-7, 6-0, 6-2. Macek ended the dual match after losing a tough three-setter to Schiller, 2-6, 6-3, 6-4 at the top spot.
Santa Clara drops its record to 3-3 on the year and returns to action tomorrow afternoon with a date against fellow West Coast Conference rival Portland in Portland, Ore. Game time is set for noon.
Oregon 5, Santa Clara 2
Doubles (Oregon wins the doubles point)
1. Arron Spencer/Markus Schiller (UO) def. Bobby Rasmussen/Jan Macek (SCU), 8-4
2. Kevin McQuaid/Blane Shields (SCU) def. Thomas Bieri/Fernando Freitas (UO), 8-5
3. Mike Myrhed/Gustavo Loza (UO) def. Brian Brogan/A.J. Kerin (SCU), 8-4
1. Markus Schiller (UO) def. Jan Macek (SCU), 2-6, 6-3, 6-4
2. Thomas Bieri (UO) def. Kevin McQuaid (SCU), 6-4, 6-4
3. Arron Spencer (UO) def. Brian Brogan (SCU), 6-2, 6-4
4. Mike Myrhed (UO) def. Blane Shields (SCU), 6-4, 6-4
5. Bobby Rasmussen (SCU) def. Eric Pickard (UO), 5-7, 6-0, 6-2
6. Tommy Hicks (SCU) def. Gustavo Loza (UO), 6-3, 6-2