Feb. 4, 2006
Santa Clara, Calif. - Winning the doubles point in tennis is often a good indicator of who will capture the overall match. However, Princeton was not able to capitalize on their fast start and host Santa Clara went on to sweep all the singles matches today to give it a 6-1 victory at the Degheri Tennis Center this afternoon. The Tigers were able to take two out of the three doubles contests, though the Broncos' Jan Macek and Bobby Rasmussen upset No. 44 Andrew Lieu and Hans Plukas at the No. 1 spot to give the home team some momentum heading into singles.
"Princeton came out loose and firing form the beginning in doubles, though Jan and Bobby did a great job beating a ranked team," said head coach George Husack. "We came out much better in singles and it was great to see such a great crowd out there supporting us. The Hecklers [on the Hill] were out in full force, cheering us on. Everyone really played well to pull out the victory."
With Princeton holding brief 1-0 lead, Santa Clara was able to chip away at its deficit with singles victories coming from Kevin McQuaid and Tommy Hicks. A.J. Kerin added another point in the win column with his 6-3, 6-2 win over Alex Vuckovic on Court 6, while Brian Brogan clinched the dual match with his 6-2, 6-4 triumph over Andrew Lieu at the No. 2 position. Mack and Rasmussen won their matches to account for the final tally.
Santa Clara improves to 5-3 on the year and returns to action tomorrow afternoon when it travels to Fresno, Calif. to battle Fresno State. Game time is set for 12:30 p.m.
Santa Clara 6, Princeton 1
Doubles (Princeton wins the doubles point)
1. Jan Macek/Bobby Rasmussen (SCU) def. No. 44 Andrew Lieu/Hans Plukas (PU), 8-3
2. Alex Krueger-Wyman/Ted Mabrey (PU) def. Kevin McQuaid/Blane Shields (SCU), 8-6
3. Darius Craton/Shannon Morales (PU) def. Brian Brogan/A.J. Kerin (SCU), 8-4
1. Jan Macek (SCU) def. Sratha Saengsuwarn (PU), 6-3, 6-4
2. Brian Brogan (SCU) def. Andrewe Lieu (PU), 6-2, 6-4
3. Kevin McQuaid (SCU) def. Alex Krueger-Wyman (PU), 6-2, 6-4
4. Bobby Rasmussen (SCU) def. Jonathan Leslie (PU), 7-6 (2), 6-1
5. Tommy Hicks (SCU) def. Shannon Morales (PU), 6-3, 6-0
6. A.J. Kerin (SCU) def. Alex Vuckovic (PU), 6-3, 6-2