Santa Clara Falls on the Road to Fresno State
Feb. 5, 2006
Fresno, Calif. - The Santa Clara men's tennis team received decisive singles victories from Tommy Hicks and A.J. Kerin, but it was not enough as Fresno State captured a 5-2 win this afternoon. The Broncos dominated at the No. 5 and No. 6 positions, with Hicks and Kerin dropping only seven games between them, but the Bulldogs won the remaining matches in doubles and singles to run away with the contest.
In doubles, Fresno State captured the doubles point after winning on Courts 1 and 2. Jan Macek and Bobby Rasmussen dropped an 8-3 position at the No. 1 position to Sam Gibbs and Sergiu Modoc, while Jakub Cech and Charles Irie picked up the 8-6 win over Kevin McQuaid and Blane Shields at the No. 2 spot. The Bulldogs got the sweep after Jordi Ballester and Sam Tadevosian outlasted Brian Brogan and Kerin 8-7 at the No. 3 position.
Fresno State extended its lead after Cech defeated Jan Macek 6-4, 6-2 at the No. 1 spot, but Kerin got Santa Clara on the board with his easy 6-2, 6-2 victory over Sam Gibbs on Court 6. However, the Bulldogs got wins from the No. 4 and 2 spots to clinch the match. The two dueling squads split the remaining singles matches to account for the final margin.
Santa Clara drops its record to 5-4 on the year and continues its season this Friday with a road trip to Provo, Utah to take on Brigham Young. Game time is set for 5 p.m.
Fresno State 5, Santa Clara 2
Doubles (Fresno State wins the doubles point)
1. Sam Gibbs/Sergiu Modoc (FS) def. Jan Macek/Bobby Rasmussen (SCU), 8-3
2. Jakub Cech/Charles Irie (FS) def. Kevin McQuaid/Blane Shields (SCU), 8-6
3. Jordi Ballester/Sam Tadevosian (FS) def. Brian Brogan/A.J. Kerin (SCU), 8-7 (3)
1. Jakub Cech (FS) def. Jan Macek (SCU), 6-4, 6-2
2. Sergiu Modoc (FS) def. Brian Brogan (SCU), 6-2, 6-3
3. Charles Irie (FS) def. Kevin McQuaid (SCU), 6-2, 6-7, 1-0
4. Sam Tadevosian (FS) def. Bobby Rasmussen (SCU), 6-2, 6-3
5. Tommy Hicks (SCU) def. Franz Molina (FS), 6-2, 6-1
6. A.J. Kerin (SCU) def. Sam Gibbs (FS), 6-2, 6-2