Santa Clara Falls to No. 74 Brigham Young 6-1
Feb. 10, 2006
Provo, Utah - The Santa Clara men's tennis team picked up a hard-fought victory from Bobby Rasmussen, but it wasn't enough to overcome No. 74 Brigham today in Provo, Utah, dropping a 6-1 decision. In addition, the Broncos got a win in doubles from Kevin McQuaid and Blane Shields, though the Cougars were still able to capture the doubles point with victories on Courts 1 and 3.
After taking a 1-0 lead, Brigham Young did not let up, obtaining five straight wins before Rasmussen prevented the sweep. On Court 4, Tommy Hicks dropped a 6-0, 6-3 decision to Ivan Kokurin, while Jan Macek was beaten at the No. 1 position by James Ludlow 6-4, 6-4. Kevin McQuaid fell to Christian Hand 6-4, 6-2 at the No. 3 spot, followed by Dominik Kaufhold's 6-4, 6-1 triumph over Brian Brogan on Court 2. A.J. Kerin lost to Jonathan Sanchez 6-2, 6-3 at the No. 6 position before Rasmussen's 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (8) victory over Jose Lechuga on Court 5.
Santa Clara drops its record to 5-5 on the year and returns to action tomorrow against No. 54 Utah. Game time is set for 3 p.m.
Brigham Young 6, Santa Clara 1
Doubles (Brigham Young captures the doubles point)
1. James Ludlow/Jose Lechuga (BYU) def. Jan Macek/Bobby Rasmussen (SC) 8-5
2. Kevin McQuaid/Blane Shields (SC) def. Chip Hand/Jonathan Sanchez (BYU) 8-4
3. Dominik Kaufholf/Ivan Kokurin (BYU) def. Brian Brogan/Aneal Vallurupalli (SC) 8-4
1. James Ludlow (BYU) def. Jan Macek (SCU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Dominik Kaufhold (BYU) def. Brian Brogan (SCU) 6-4, 6-1
3. Christian Hand (BYU) def. Kevin McQuaid (SC)U 6-4, 6-2
4. Ivan Kokurin (BYU) def. Tommy Hicks (SCU) 6-0, 6-3
5. Bobby Rasmussen (SCU) def. Jose Lechuga (BYU) 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (10-8)
6. Jonathan Sanchez (BYU) def. A.J. Kerin (SCU) 6-2, 6-3