Santa Clara Takes Rain-Delayed Match with Saint Mary's
March 13, 2006
Moraga, Calif. - Santa Clara was scheduled to play Saint Mary's in a key West Coast Conference match-up on Sunday, but due to rain, it was postponed to today. And one has to wonder if the Gaels were hoping rains would interfere again, as they lost 5-2 to the Broncos this afternoon. A strong singles line-up propelled SCU past its league foe, as the top four players all won their matches for Santa Clara.
Santa Clara ups its record to 8-7 on the year and will return to action next on Saturday, March 25 when Tulsa invades the Degheri Tennis Center for a 3 p.m. match-up. That day is also Santa Clara's Alumni Reunion Weekend.
"It was a good win for us, not only because of the local rivalry, but also because it was a WCC match," said head coach George Husack. "We're just trying to get ready for finals and our Spring Break trip.
Because rain was threatening to postpone the match yet again, singles was contested first and Kevin McQuaid gave Santa Clara an early 1-0 lead with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Adam Fauvre at the No. 3 spot. Jan Macek was next off the court with his 6-4, 6-1 triumph over Julien Tizot at the top position, though Alp Ozpinar cut the score to 2-1 with his 6-4, 6-1 win over Blane Shields on Court 6. Tommy Hicks extended SCU's lead by defeating Yury Platonov 6-1, 6-3 at the No. 4 spot, and Brian Brogan clinched the match after defeating Martin Marechal 6-1, 3-6, 6-2 at the No. 2 position. Achim Christner took out A.J. Kerin 7-6 (9) 6-3 on Court 5 to round out the singles scoring. Santa Clara won two out of the three doubles contests to account for the final margin.
Santa Clara 5, Saint Mary's 2
1. Jan Macek (SCU) def. Julien Tizot (SMC), 6-4, 6-1
2. Brian Brogan (SCU) def. Martin Marechal (SMC), 6-1, 3-6, 6-2
3. Kevin McQuaid (SCU) def. Adam Fauvre (SMC), 6-2, 6-2
4. Tommy Hicks (SCU) def. Yury Platonov (SMC), 6-1, 6-3
5. Achim Christner (SMC) def. A.J. Kerin (SCU), 7-6 (9), 6-3
6. Alp Ozpinar (SMC) def. Blane Shields (SCU), 6-4, 6-2
Doubles (Santa Clara wins the doubles point)
1. Kevin McQuaid/Blane Shields (SCU) def. Yury Platonov/Julien Tizot (SMC), 8-3
2. Brian Brogan/Jan Macek (SCU) def. Achim Christner/Alp Ozpinar (SMC), 9-7
3. Adam Fauvre/Tim Welty (SMC) def. Kenzo Hirakawa-Wong/Aneal Vallurupalli (SCU), 9-8