Broncos Drop a 5-2 Decision to Gauchos
March 29, 2006
Santa Barbara, Calif. - The Santa Clara men's tennis team fell to host UC Santa Barbara this afternoon by a score of 5-2. This contest kicks off the Broncos' Spring Break trip and the first of three matches they will be playing this week. The match was delayed by two hours due to the weather and when play picked up, UC Santa Barbara was able to come out strong in doubles to set the tone of the game.
Santa Clara evens its record to 9-9 on the year and returns to action on Saturday when it travels to Los Angeles, Calif. to face West Coast Conference rival Loyola Marymount. Game time is set for 1 p.m.
UC Santa Barbara started off the afternoon in great shape, as it captured two doubles matches to win the all-important doubles point. At the No. 1 spot, Nick Brotman and Anders Dalskov took out Kevin McQuaid and Blane Shields 8-1, while Scott Hohenstein and Carsten Thorstensen teamed up to beat Chris Iwamura and A.J. Kerin 8-3 on Court 3 to put their team up 1-0. At the No. 2 spot, Jan Macek and Bobby Rasmussen were leading Grant Robertson and Elad Stern 5-4 when the match was called after the doubles point had been captured by the hosts.
In singles action, Hohenstein added to the Gauchos' point total with his 6-1, 6-4 victory over Kenzo Hirakawa-Wong at the No. 6 spot. Tommy Hicks put the Broncos on the board with his 7-5, 6-4 triumph over Carsten Thorstensen, though Brotman countered with his 6-2, 6-3 win over Macek at the No. 1 position. Kerin gave Santa Clara some hope after he beat Max Taylor 6-3, 7-6 on Court 5, but Dalskov clinched the match after he outlasted McQuaid at the No. 3 spot, 4-6, 6-2, 6-1. Brian Brogan dropped a 7-6, 6-4 decision to Bijan Hejazi at the No. 2 position to account for the final margin.
UC Santa Barbara 5, Santa Clara 2
Doubles (UC Santa Barbara wins the doubles point)
1. Nick Brotman/Anders Dalskov (UCSB) def. Kevin McQuaid/Blane Shields (SCU), 8-1
2. Jan Macek/Bobby Rasmussen (SCU) led Grant Robertson/Elad Stern (UCSB), 5-4
3. Scott Hohenstein/Carsten Thorstensen (UCSB) def. Chris Iwamura/A.J. Kerin (SCU), 8-3
1. Nick Brotman (UCSB) def. Jan Macek (SCU), 6-2, 6-3
2. Bijan Hejazi (UCSB) def. Brian Brogan (SCU), 7-6, 6-4
3. Anders Dalskov (UCSB) def. Kevin McQuaid (SCU), 4-6, 6-2, 6-1
4. Tommy Hicks (SCU) def. Carsten Thorstensen (UCSB), 7-5, 6-4
5. A.J. Kerin (SCU) def. Max Taylor (UCSB), 6-3, 7-6
6. Scott Hohenstein (UCSB) def. Kenzo Hirakawa-Wong (SCU), 6-1, 6-4