Feb. 16, 2007
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The No. 73 Santa Clara men's tennis team won its third straight match on Friday afternoon, defeating West Coast Conference rival, Gonzaga, 6-1 at the Degheri Tennis Center. The Broncos won five out of the six singles matches, including four matches in straight sets. Jan Macek, Brian Brogan, Jay Wong, Robert Gallman and Tommy Hicks all won their matches. Freshman Steven Benvenuto and Kenzo Hirakawa-Wong made their spring season debuts in the match. SCU improves to 6-4 on the season with the win.
With Kevin McQuaid and Blane Shields taking the day off, Jan Macek and Bobby Rasmussen won at No. 1 doubles, while Brian Brogan and Robert Gallman captured No. 2 singles to clinch the doubles point. Hirakawa-Wong and Benvenuto dropped a close doubles match 8-7, losing 7-3 in the tiebreaker.
Santa Clara dominated in singles, led by Wong and Gallman, who each won their match 6-1, 6-1. Hicks garnered his first dual match win at No. 6, beating Zach Radetzky 6-1, 6-2. Macek won for the second time in three matches at No. 1 and Brogan shook off a tough first set to come back and claim a three-set victory. Benvenuto, making his dual match debut at singles, lost to Marco Antonio Pineda 6-2, 6-3.
SCU gets no rest as the team takes on No. 75 Oregon on Saturday, Feb. 17 at 2:30 p.m. PT at the Degheri Tennis Center.
No. 73 Santa Clara 6 Gonzaga 1
Doubles: (Order of finish 1, 2, 3)
1. SCU Jan Macek/Bobby Rasmussen def. GON Brett Womack/Logan Napolsky 8-3
2. SCU Brian Brogan/Robert Gallman def. GON Marco Antonio Pineda/Zach Radetzky 8-4
3. GON Bryce Cooper/Roman Dojcak def. SCU Kenzo Hirakawa-Wong/Steven Benvenuto 8-7 (7-3)
Singles: (Order of finish 3, 4, 6, 1, 5, 2)
1. SCU Jan Macek def. GON Bryce Cooper 6-2, 6-4
2. SCU Brian Brogan def. GON Brett Womack 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-5)
3. SCU Jay Wong def. GON Roman Dojcak 6-1, 6-1
4. SCU Robert Gallman def. GON Cooper Fratt 6-1, 6-1
5. GON Marco Antonio Pineda def. SCU Steven Benvenuto 6-2, 6-3
6. SCU Tommy Hicks def. GON Zach Radetzky 6-1, 6-2