April 13, 2007
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The No. 68 Santa Clara Broncos defeated the visiting Nevada Wolfpack 5-2 in men's tennis on Friday night at the Degheri Tennis Center. With the win, SCU improves to 17-6 on the season. The doubles pairs swept all three matches to get the Broncos started as the team remained undefeated when winning the doubles point. SCU won the first three singles matches to clinch the match 4-0.
Jan Macek and Kevin McQuaid got the night started for SCU with a dominating 8-1 win in doubles over the Wolf Pack's No. 1 pair of Laurent Garcin and Guillaume Tonelli. Robert Gallman and Blane Shields at No. 2 and Brian Brogan and Jay Wong at No. 3 completed the sweep with victories of their own, both by 8-3 margins.
SCU got right to work in singles, winning three straight matches to take an insurmountable 4-0 lead. Wong won his 28th match of the year to move within two wins of the all-time single-season record for victories to get SCU going. He defeated Benjamin David 6-2, 6-2 on court 3.
Gallman made his return to the lineup a triumphant one with a 6-1, 6-2 victory at No. 5 singles. Macek then clinched the victory with an impressive 6-3, 6-2 win over Garcin at No. 1. A win at No. 6 by Tommy Hicks put SCU up 5-0.
Shields and Brogan lost close three-set matches to account for the final margin. Brogan split a pair of tiebreakers with Tonelli at No. 2 before losing 10-8 in a supertiebreaker. The loss by Shields was just the second of the dual match season for him.
Santa Clara returns to work on Sunday, April 15 with its final two regular season matches. SCU hosts UC San Diego at 10 a.m. PT and then plays Sacramento State at 3 p.m. PT at the Degheri Tennis Center. Seniors Bobby Rasmussen and Macek will celebrate Senior Day prior to the match against Sacramento State.
No. 68 Santa Clara def. Nevada 5-2
Doubles: (Order of finish 1, 3, 2)
1. SCU Jan Macek/Kevin McQuaid def. NEV Laurent Garcin/Guillaume Tonelli 8-1
2. SCU Robert Gallman/Blane Shields def. NEV Benjamin David/Guerin Smith 8-3
3. SCU Brian Brogan/Jay Wong def. NEV Alex Daruty/Eldar Dzhafarov 8-3
Singles: (Order of finish 3, 5, 1, 6, 4, 2)
1. SCU Jan Macek def. NEV Laurent Garcin 6-3, 6-2
2. NEV Guillaume Tonelli def. SCU Brian Brogan 7-6 (10-8), 6-7 (7-3), 1-0 (10-8)
3. SCU Jay Wong def. NEV Benjamin David 6-2, 6-1
4. NEV Alex Daruty def. SCU Blane Shields 1-6, 6-2, 6-3
5. SCU Robert Gallman def. NEV Arzhang Derakhshani 6-1, 6-2
6. SCU Tommy Hicks def. NEV Augustin Myard 6-3, 6-2