Broncos Win First Match Of The Day Over UC San Diego 5-2
April 15, 2007
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The No. 68 Bronco men's tennis team got its final day of the regular season started on the right foot with a 5-2 win over UC San Diego at the Degheri Tennis Center. The win was the 18th of the season for Santa Clara, tying them for the second most wins in a single season in program history. George Husack's squad got out to a 4-0 lead to clinch the match quickly. Jan Macek, Jay Wong and Blane Shields earned straight-set singles wins while Brian Brogan won a three-setter for SCU.
The Broncos got it going early in doubles with Robert Gallman and Shields and Brogan and Wong both winning 8-4 matches to give SCU the doubles point. Macek and Kevin McQuaid fought hard at No. 1 doubles, but fell 8-7 (7-5) to the Tritons top pair of Blake Meister and Eric Rubens.
SCU took it to the Tritons right from the start in singles. Macek, Wong and Shields all won handily to put the Broncos up 4-0. Macek defeated Bijan Moallemi 6-3, 6-1 at No. 1, while Wong won his 29th match of the year, 6-1, 6-2, over Seth Spector. Shields captured a win at No. 5 6-3, 6-2 over Steven Oechel to improve to 11-2 on the dual match season.
Brogan pulled out a three-setter at No. 2 in a supertiebreaker. After splitting the first two sets with Rubens, Brogan won 10-5 in the tiebreaker to earn the match win. Gallman at No. 4 and Hicks at No. 6 fell in third-set supertiebreakers 10-4 and 11-9 respectively.
The match against UC San Diego was the first of the day for SCU, which took on Sacramento State in the afternoon match of the doubleheader on Sunday.
Santa Clara def. UC San Diego 5-2
1. UCSD Blake Meister/Eric Rubens def. SCU Jan Macek/Kevin McQuaid 8-7 (7-5)
2. SCU Robert Gallman/Blane Shields def. UCSD Steven Oechel/Seth Spector 8-4
3. SCU Brian Brogan/Jay Wong def. UCSD Brandon Low/Bijan Moallemi 8-4
1. SCU Jan Macek def. UCSD Bijan Moallemi 6-3, 6-1
2. SCU Brian Brogan def. UCSD Eric Rubens 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (10-5)
3. SCU Jay Wong def. UCSD Seth Spector 6-1, 6-2
4. UCSD Brandon Low def. SCU Robert Gallman 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (10-4)
5. SCU Blane Shields def. UCSD Steven Oechel 6-3, 6-2
6. UCSD Kazumi Negishi def. SCU Tommy Hicks 6-4, 3-6, 1-0 (11-9)