MALIBU, Calif. - The No. 55 Santa Clara men's tennis team fell to 3-3 on the season after falling to No. 20 Pepperdine on the road this afternoon, 7-0. The Broncos did not go down as easy as the score may have indicated though, as four singles games were decided in the third set.
In singles, Pepperdine took a 3-0 lead with two-set victories at the No. 4 and No. 1 slots. Clarke cinched the victory for the Waves at No. 6, defeating Eugene Muchynski. Muchynski made Clarke work for the win though, taking the second set to 12 games and the third to 10 games.
Santa Clara will continue play in southern California tomorrow with an 11 a.m. match against Loyola Marymount.
Santa Clara vs Pepperdine
Feb 05, 2011 at Malibu, Calif.
(Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center)
#20 Pepperdine 7, #55 Santa Clara 0
1. #112 Finn Tearney (PEP) def. Kyle Dandan (SC) 6-3, 6-4
2. #14 Sebastian Fanselow (PEP) def. Maxime Armengaud (SC) 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
3. #40 Alex Llompart (PEP) def. John Lamble (SC) 3-6, 6-2, 6-1
4. Mousheg Hovhannisyan (PEP) def. Nicholas Vinel (SC) 6-4, 6-4
5. Alfredo Moreno (PEP) def. Tom Pham (SC) 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
6. Hugh Clarke (PEP) def. Eugene Muchynski (SC) 6-2, 5-7, 6-4
1. #35 Hugh Clarke/Finn Tearney (PEP) def. Kyle Dandan/Nicholas Vinel (SC) 8-4
2. Alex Llompart/Alfredo Moreno (PEP) def. Maxime Armengaud/John Lamble (SC) 8-1
3. Jenson Turner/Sebastian Fanselow (PEP) def. Eugene Muchynski/Tom Pham (SC) 8-2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (4,1,6,5,3,2)