SANTA CLARA, Calif. – Santa Clara men's tennis earned a 6-1 victory over Army on Wednesday afternoon at Degheri Tennis Center.
"It was a positive win," head coach Niall Angus said. "We needed that match. We needed to get the cobwebs out and I think it will put us in good standing heading into this Saturday against Fresno State."
The Broncos (9-2, 0-1 WCC) picked up the doubles point in quick fashion, securing the 1-0 lead over Army (10-7) in just over 30 minutes. Sophomore Connor Garnett and freshman Vasileios Iliopoulos won on court one by a score of 6-2 to start things off for the Broncos. Sophomores Andrew Gu and Kamran Khan clinched the point with a 6-2 win on court three.
"We came out and started doubles well which was nice to see because we've had some issues with doubles throughout the year," Angus said. "It was nice to see the guys come out firing, we've put a lot of emphasis on that and it was nice to reap the rewards."
Garnett earned the first singles point of the day and his sixth straight singles victory with his 6-4, 6-1 win on court three over Grant Riechmann. Sophomore Jesus Tapiador Barajas defeated David Mitchell on court four by a score of 6-4, 6-3 for the second singles point. Khan clinched the victory for Santa Clara with his 6-4, 6-3 win on court six. Iliopoulos earned a 2-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-6) win on court five and Gu finished the match with a 6-3, 7-6 (7-4) win on court two, his fifth straight victory.
"My match, I think I did pretty well, the first set went well," Gu said. "The second set, I was in it and not so in it but I found my groove, took it to a tiebreaker and pulled through so I'm pretty happy with my win today."
Santa Clara returns to action on Saturday at 2 p.m. PT when they host Fresno State.
SCU 5, Army 1
March 4, 2017 | Indoor Tennis Courts (Provo, Utah)
1. Garnett/Iliopoulos (SCU) def. Nguyen/Riechmann (Army) – 6-2
2. Seby/Barajas (SCU) vs. Lampman/Shannon (Army) – 4-3, unfinished
3. Gu/Khan (SCU) def. Mitchell/Sienko (Army) – 6-2
SCU wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 1, 3
1. Michael Nguyen (Army) def. Robert Seby (SCU) vs. – 6-4, 6-4
2. Andrew Gu (SCU) def. Andrew Lampman (Army) – 6-3, 7-6 (7-4)
3. Connor Garnett (SCU) def. Grant Riechmann (Army) – 6-4, 6-1
4. Jesus Barajas (SCU) def. David Mitchell (Army) – 6-4, 6-3
5. Vasileios Iliopoulos (SCU) def. Myles Conlin (Army) – 2-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-6)
6. Kamran Khan (SCU) def. Nikita Pereverzin (Army) – 6-4, 6-3
* - clinched victory