SANTA CLARA, Calif. – Santa Clara men's tennis battled to the end against Pepperdine but ultimately fell by a score of 4-1. It was just the squad's second loss at Degheri Tennis Center this season.
"There were some ups and downs like every other match," head coach Niall Angus said. "We put ourselves in a position to win at the end there and I believe if we could've held on for the next 10 minutes or so we could've come away with a win. It's a tough one to learn from but we'll be a better team for it."
Pepperdine (9-8, 4-1 WCC) picked up the doubles point over the Broncos (14-4, 4-3 WCC). The Waves had complete control of doubles play, winning on courts three (6-2) and two (6-2, in that order) while also leading 5-3 on court one.
"I was proud of our guys today," Angus said. "The disappointing side of it was that we played really sloppy in doubles. But after that, we responded really well in singles."
"It's the same thing I've been saying all year," Angus said. "One thing you know you're going to get from everybody on our team is they are going to fight and compete. That's what we did today, we gave everything but we came up short."
Santa Clara hosts San Francisco on Saturday at 2 p.m. PT for its final home match of the season.
PEPP 4, SCU 1
April 9, 2017 | Degheri Tennis Center (Santa Clara, Calif.)
1. Van Slyke/Menichella (PEPP) vs. Iliopoulos/Garnett (SCU) – 5-3, unfinished
2. Hadlich/Sidney (PEPP) def. Seby/Barajas (SCU) – 6-2
3. Iamachkine/Hill (PEPP) def. Gu Khan (SCU) – 6-2
PEPP wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 3, 2*
1. Guilherme Hadlich (PEPP) def. Robert Seby (SCU) – 6-1, 6-3
2. Andrew Gu (SCU) def. Stefan Menichella (PEPP) – 7-6, 6-3
3. Connor Garnett (SCU) vs. Pedro Iamachkine (PEPP) – 6-7, 7-3, 2-3 unfinished
4. Jesus Tapiador Barajas (SCU) vs. Jack Van Slyke (PEPP) – 7-6, 5-7 unfinished
5. Dane Esses (PEPP) def. Vasileios Iliopoulos (SCU) – 5-7, 6-1, 6-4
6. Gabriel Sidney (PEPP) def. Kamran Khan (SCU) – 6-1, 7-5
* - Clinched Victory