April 1, 2009
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - On Tuesday afternoon the Santa Clara men's tennis team fell to Sacramento State 6-1. Senior Kenzo Hirakawa-Wong grabbed a victory in three sets at the number four singles position to earn a point for the Broncos. SCU falls to 3-8 for the 2009 dual season while Sacramento moves to a record of 12-5.
The Broncos, who have recently been successful on the doubles side of play, struggled from the start and dropped all three matches. The outcome of the doubles matches set the tone for singles action, as SCU struggled to gain any momentum. Freshman Kyle Dandan played a strong match at the number one position, but could not overpower Sacramento's Kiryl Harbatsiuk and fell 6-4, 6-4.
The Broncos have the rest of the week to prepare for this weekend's matches when they will host Sonoma State on Apr. 4 and West Coast Conference opponent Loyola Marymount on Apr. 5 for Senior Day.
1. SAC Harbatsiuk def. SCU Kyle Dandan 6-4, 6-4
2. SAC Stryhas def. SCU Jay Wong 6-0, 6-4
3. SAC Smith def. SCU Tommy Hicks 6-0, 6-2
4. SCU Kenzo Hirakawa-Wong def. SAC Starcevic 6-1, 5-7, 10-8
5. SAC Chinga def. SCU Charlie Burke 6-4, 6-2
6. SAC Klimenka def. SCU John Iwanski 6-1, 6-2