Men's Tennis Wins the First of Two Matches This Weekend
April 4, 2009
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - In their first of two matches this weekend, the Santa Clara men's tennis team grabbed a 5-2 victory over visiting No. 30 Sonoma State. Jay Wong, Kyle Dandan, Kenzo Hirakawa-Wong, and Tommy Hicks came away with singles wins for the Broncos.
After falling to Sacramento State on Tuesday, SCU bounced back with a strong performance this afternoon. Doubles pairs of Kenzo Hirakawa-Wong and Jay Wong, and Tommy Hicks and Kyle Dandan came away with wins to give Santa Clara a 1-0 advantage going into singles play.
There was no looking back for the Broncos as they began singles play. Wong, Dandan, Hirakawa-Wong, and Hicks all played strong matches and came away with four decisive victories to give SCU the 5-2 win.
Santa Clara hosts Loyola Marymount tomorrow, Apr. 5, in its last home game of the 2009 dual season. The Senior Day match is set to begin at 12 noon at the Degheri Tennis Center.
3. SON Scott Gaynor/Anthony Rollins def. SCU Charlie Burke / John Iwanksi 8-5
1. SCU Jay Wong def. SON Connor Olson 6-2, 6-4
2. SCU Kyle Dandan def. SON Jeremy Heckley 6-2, 6-3
3. SCU Kenzo Hirakawa-Wong def. SON Zel Sperry 4-6, 6-2, "10"
4. SCU Tommy Hicks def. SON Jordan Smith 6-2. 6-1
5. SON Andrew Kuri-Yakub def. SCU Charlie Burke 7-5, 6-3
6. SON Quan Anh Vu def. John Iwanski 6-0, 6-1