April 14, 2009
STOCKTON, Calif. - On Monday afternoon the Santa Clara Men's tennis team fell to No. 54 Pacific 7-0 in their final match of the regular dual season. With the loss, the Broncos fall to 4-11 as they prepare for the West Coast Conference tournament beginning April 17 in San Diego.
SCU struggled from the start to create winning opportunities. In doubles, Kyle Dandan and Tommy Hicks put up a fight versus the Tigers' Artem Gramma and Karl-Erik Paaro but could not overpower the pair and dropped the decision 8-6. On the singles side of play, Jay Wong and Kyle Dandan forced both of their matches into three long sets. Wong and Dandan both created opportunities to grab points for Santa Clara, but they just came up short versus Moritz Starke and Artem Gramma, respectively.
The Broncos have this week to prepare for this weekend's West Coast Conference tournament. Tournament brackets will be released later this week and the first match is set for Friday, April 17.
1. PAC Mortiz Starke def. SCU Jay Wong 6-2, 6-7(6), 1-0(6)
2. PAC Artem Gramma def. SCU Kyle Dandan 6-1, 3-6, 1-0(4)
3. PAC Renan Delsin def. SCU Kenzo Hirakawa-Wong 6-4, 6-3
4. PAC Vegerd Veskimagi def. SCU Tommy Hicks 6-0, 6-4
5. PAC Karl-Erik Paaro def. SCU Charlie Burke 6-1, 6-3
6. PAC Ryan Kim def. SCU John Iwanski 6-1, 6-2