Women's Tennis Edged by Nevada 4-3
March 17, 2001
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The Santa Clara women's tennis team fell to Nevada 4-3 this afternoon in non-conference dual action at the Santa Clara Tennis Center. The Broncos fall to 5-6 on the season while Nevada remains undefeated at 8-0. Although the Broncos lost the doubles point to open the match, Santa Clara's top tandem of sophomore Christine Limbers and Junior Nicole McCord defeated 35th-ranked Tjasa Jezernik and Biljana Trpeska 9-7.
Santa Clara responded with wins at the second, third and sixth double spots, but the Wolf Pack's Vania Apodaca clinched the match at the top singles slot with a come-from-behind victory over Limbers, 4-6, 6-4, 7-6.
The Broncos are back in action tomorrow afternoon, hosting West Coast Conference opponent Gonzaga at 11 a.m. at the Santa Clara Tennis Center.
Nevada 4, Santa Clara 3
1. Vania Apodaca (UNR) def. Christine Limbers (SCU) 4-6, 6-4, 7-6 (1)
2. Mariko Kawakami (SCU) def. Biljana Trpeska (UNR) 6-4, 4-6, 7-5
3. Patricia Ruiz (SCU) def. Ana Bihler (UNR) 7-5, 7-5
4. Shaina Rutherford (UNR) def. Nicole McCord (SCU) 6-4, 6-0
5. Ines Zouabi (UNR) def. Megan McKitterick (SCU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Ashley Campbell (SCU) def. Kristi Oshita (UNR) 6-4, 6-2
1. Limbers/McCord (SCU) def. No. 35 Jezernik/Trpeska (UNR) 9-7
2. Apodaca/Kodee Domingo (UNR) def. Kawakami/Alison Barr (SCU) 8-3
3. Bihler/Rutherford (UNR) def. Ruiz/Campbell (SCU) 8-1