Women's Tennis Defeats Sacramento State by One
April 4, 2001
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The Santa Clara women's tennis team defeated Sacramento State 1-0 this afternoon in non-conference action at the Santa Clara Tennis Center. With the victory, the Broncos improve to 7-9 on the season. Sacramento State falls to 9-6.
The Broncos opened the afternoon by winning their first doubles point in seven matches, having not struck early since a 4-3 defeat over Temple at the USD Tennis Classic last month. Sophomore Christine Limbers and junior Nicole McCord teamed up for a win on the first doubles court, an 8-1 victory over Sacramento State's Marta Gronowicz and Janice Mota. The Hornets responded by winning on the second court but Santa Clara earned the doubles point with an 8-4 win by sophomore Mariko Kawakami and freshman Jenny Siegel, who paired together for the first time this season.
The teams split victories in singles action, with Santa Clara taking the second, fourth and sixth singles positions. Although only two of the six matches went to a third-set tiebreaker, three of the remaining four took extra sets to complete.
The Broncos remain at home and host Hawaii Pacific University on Saturday. The match against the Sea Warriors will begin at noon at the Santa Clara Tennis Center.
Santa Clara 4, Sacramento State 3
1. Gabriella Lundqvist (SAC) def. Christine Limbers (SCU) 6-4, 4-6, 6-0
2. Mariko Kawakami (SCU) def. Marta Gronowicz (SAC) 7-6 (5), 7-5
3. Caroline Svensson (SAC) def. Nicole McCord (SCU) 6-3, 7-6 (5)
4. Patricia Ruiz (SCU) def. Janice Mota (SAC) 7-6 (6), 6-1
5. Laila Karim (SAC)def. Megan McKitterick (SCU) 6-4, 6-2
6. Ashley Campbell (SCU) def. Italina Kirknis (SAC) 4-6, 7-5, 6-1
1. Limbers/McCord (SCU) def. Gronowicz/Mota (SAC) 8-1
2. Svensson/Lundqvist (SAC) def. Ruiz/Campbell (SCU) 8-4
3. Kawakami/Jenny Siegel (SCU) def. Karim/Kirknis (SAC) 8-4