Women's Tennis Defeats Hawaii Pacific 4-3
April 7, 2001
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The Santa Clara women's tennis team won its second straight match by one point with a 4-3 victory over Hawaii Pacific this afternoon in non-conference action at the Santa Clara Tennis Center. With the victory, the Broncos improve to 8-9 on the season.
Due to inclement weather, singles was played first. Sophomore Christine Limbers was the first player to secure a point for the Broncos with her 6-1, 6-0 win over the Sea Warriors' Fleurette Miranti. Santa Clara also easily secured victories on courts four and six, but Hawaii Pacific bounced back with straight-set victories on the second and third courts.
With a 3-2 advantage, sophomore Megan McKitterick clinched the team win for the Broncos with her come-from-behind singles win on court five. After dropping the first set 6-3 to HPU's Doriniso Holdarova, McKitterick rebounded with sets of 6-4 and 6-1 to clinch the match for Santa Clara.
The rain held off through the afternoon that the teams did play doubles, even though the match had been decided. Hawaii Pacific narrowed SCU's margin of victory by winning the doubles point, with an 8-5 victory on court one followed by an 8-3 score on the second court. The Sea Warriors were attempting to secure a doubles sweep, as Summer Terry and Jessica Dudley won three straight sets and stopped four break points after being down 7-2 before falling to Mariko Kawakami and Jenny Siegel 8-5.
The Broncos remain at home and host Sonoma State on Wednesday. The match will begin at 4 p.m. at the Santa Clara Tennis Center.
Santa Clara 4, Hawaii Pacific 3
1. Christine Limbers (SCU) def. Fleurette Miranti (HPU) 6-1, 6-0
2. Loni Matsunaga (HPU) def. Mariko Kawakami (SCU) 6-0, 6-3
3. Lisa Blomme (HPU) def. Nicole McCord (SCU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Patricia Ruiz (SCU) def. Biance Barreto (HPU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Megan McKitterick (SCU) def. Doriniso Holdarova (HPU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-1
6. Ashley Campbell (SCU) def. Summer Terry (HPU) 6-1, 6-2
1. Miranti/Matsunaga (HPU) def. Limbers/McCord (SCU) 8-5
2. Blomme/Barreto (HPU) def. Ruiz/Campbell (SCU) 8-3
3. Kawakami/Jenny Siegel (SCU) def. Terry/Jessica Dudley (HPU) 8-5