April 27, 2001
SAN DIEGO - The Santa Clara women's tennis team fell to fourth-seeded Portland 6-1 to open the 2001 West Coast Conference Championships this morning at the West Courts.
With the loss, the 11-10 Broncos--seeded fifth in this weekend's action--will face the loser of the Pepperdine/San Francisco match at 9 a.m. tomorrow in the consolation semifinals.
Portland stopped Santa Clara's five-match win streak to improve to 12-9 on the season.
Sophomore Mariko Kawakami recorded Santa Clara's lone point of the day, a 6-4, 4-6, 6-4 win over Portland's Katy Smith on the third singles court.
The tournament is being hosted by San Diego, ranked 55th nationally this season. No. 20 Pepperdine is the defending champion while LMU has also entered the national scene this year. These three teams have been the league's top three finishers in the WCC Tournament since 1988. The league champion will receive the league's automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament.
Action continues through Sunday, with the fifth and seventh place matches beginning at 9 a.m. and the third place and championship match starting at 1 p.m.
No. 4 Portland 6, No. 5 Santa Clara 1
1. Courtney Perkins (PORT) def. Christine Limbers (SCU) 5-7, 6-2, 6-3
2. Erin Smith (PORT) def. Nicole McCord (SCU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Mariko Kawakami (SCU) def. Katy Smith (PORT) 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
4. Amy Juppenlatz (PORT) def. Patricia Ruiz (SCU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Samantha Kluger (PORT) def. Ashley Campbell (SCU) 6-1, 2-6, 6-4
6. Jana Jusupovic (PORT) def. Megan McKitterick (SCU) 6-4, 6-1
1. Perkins/E. Smith (PORT) def. Limbers/McCord (SCU) 8-2
3. Juppenlatz/Jusupovic (PORT) def. Ruiz/Campbell (SCU) 9-7
2. K. Smith/Kluger (PORT) def. Kawakami/Jenny Siegel (SCU) 8-4