April 28, 2001
SAN DIEGO - The Santa Clara women's tennis team swept eighth-seeded San Francisco 7-0 to advance to the consolation finals of the 2001 West Coast Conference Championships, held this morning at the West Courts.
With the win, the 12-10 Broncos--seeded fifth in this weekend's action--will face Saint Mary's in the fifth-place match tomorrow at 9 a.m. The Gaels, seeded seventh in the tournament, upset No. 6 Gonzaga for the right to face Santa Clara.
The Broncos won all three doubles matches to earn the contest's first point. In singles play, the Broncos won easily in straight sets, ceding only one game each to the Dons in three of the six matches.
The tournament is being hosted by San Diego, ranked 55th nationally this season. No. 20 Pepperdine is the defending champion while LMU has also entered the national scene this year. These three teams have been the league's top three finishers in the WCC Tournament since 1988. The league champion will receive the league's automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament.
Action continues through Sunday, with USF and Gonzaga to play in the seventh-place match at 9 a.m. Additionally, the third place and championship match will start at 1 p.m.
No. 5 Santa Clara 7, No. 8 San Francisco 0
1. Christine Limbers (SCU) def. Caroline Tweeton (USF) 6-3, 6-2
3. Nicole McCord (SCU) def. Aaryn Volkmann (USF) 6-2, 6-2
2. Mariko Kawakami (SCU) def. Carey Savage (USF) 6-1, 6-0
4. Patricia Ruiz (SCU) def. Nikki Kobayashi (USF) 6-1, 6-1
5. Ashley Campbell (SCU) def. Heidi Kromschroder (USF) 6-0, 6-1
6. Megan McKitterick (SCU) def. Jamie Johnson (USF) 6-1, 6-0
1. Limbers/McCord (SCU) def. Volkmann/Savage (USF) 8-2
3. Ruiz/Campbell (SCU) def. Tweeton/Johnson (USF) 8-6
2. Kawakami/Jenny Siegel (SCU) def. Kromschroder/Kobayashi (USF) 8-3