Women's Tennis Defeats Northern Arizona 5-2
Feb. 23, 2002
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The Santa Clara University women's tennis team defeated Northern Arizona University 5-2 this afternoon at the SCU Tennis Center. The Broncos improve to 6-4 overall while the Lumberjacks even their record to 4-4.
Doubles action went down to the wire, with the Broncos grabbing the point after junior Pati Ruiz and Jenny Siegel rallied from a 5-2 deficit to a 9-7 victory over Ashley Dille and Karen Kmiec on the third court.
In singles action, NAU grabbed the No. 1 court with Yvonne de Waal's victory over junior Christine Limbers, 6-3, 7-5. Freshman Janalle Kaloi shut out her opponent on court No. 3 while junior Ashley Campbell only ceded two sets to her opponent on the sixth singles court.
The Broncos return to action on Tuesday for a mid-week non-conference contest at Sacramento State. First serve is slated for 1:30 p.m.
ResultsSanta Clara 5, Northern Arizona 2
1. Yvonne de Waal (NAU) def. Christine Limbers (SCU) 6-3, 7-5
2. Nicole McCord (SCU) def. Kirsten Balk (NAU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
3. Janalle Kaloi (SCU) def. Kathy Kmiec (NAU) 6-0, 6-0
4. Mariko Kawakami (SCU) def. Ashley Dille (NAU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Karen Kmiec (NAU) def. Jenny Siegel (SCU) 1-6, 6-2, 6-4
6. Ashley Campbell (SCU) def. Sylvie Quatremer (NAU) 6-1, 6-1
1. Kaloi/Kawakami (SCU) def. Kat. Kmiec/Balk (NAU) 8-2
2. de Waal/Quatremer (NAU) def. Limbers/McCord (SCU) 8-5
3. Siegel/ Pati Ruiz (SCU) def. Dille/Kar. Kmiec (NAU) 9-7