March 27, 2002
LOS ANGELES - The Santa Clara University women's tennis team fell to Loyola Marymount 6-1 in West Coast Conference play this afternoon at the LMU Outdoor Complex.
The Broncos' overall record moves to 9-7 on the season and 3-1 in league action. The Lions improve to 10-8 overall and 3-0 in the conference.
LMU took the first point of the afternoon with victories on the first and third doubles courts. Santa Clara's Mariko Kawakami and Janalle Kaloi paired for the Broncos' only victory, an 8-3 decision over Julie Hladik and Edit Pakay.
In singles action, Loyola Marymount took control, with straight-set victories on four courts. Bronco senior Nicole McCord stretched her match against Angelina Zdorovytska to three sets, but was unable to pull out a victory. Junior Pati Ruiz scored SCU's lone point of the match with her 6-4, 6-0 win over Georgina Dinham.
The Broncos return home in their next outing, hosting Cal Poly at the SCU Tennis Center on Saturday, April 6, First serve in doubles competition is set for 11 a.m. Fans attending the match will be able to enjoy the program's newest addition to its three-year-old facility, an electronic scoreboard. With its LED display, scores can be viewed from all courts and the stands, with each court having a wireless controller that allows in-progress match scores to be sent to the board during changeovers.
Loyola Marymount 6, Santa Clara 1
1. Edit Pakay (LMU) def. Janalle Kaloi (SCU) 6-4, 6-2
2. Andrea Lord (LMU) def. Christine Limbers (SCU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Penka Fileva (LMU) def. Mariko Kawakami (SCU) 6-0, 6-3
4. Angelina Zdorovytska (LMU) def. Nicole McCord (SCU) 7-5, 1-6, 6-2
5. Julie Hladik (LMU) def. Ashley Campbell (SCU) 6-3, 6-0
6. Pati Ruiz (SCU) def. Georgina Dinham (LMU) 6-4, 6-0
1. Lord/Zdorovytska (LMU) def. Limbers/McCord (SCU) 8-4
2. Kaloi/Kawakami (SCU) def. Hladik/Pakay (LMU) 8-3
3. Fileva/ Jessica Placencia (LMU) def. Campbell/ Catherine Cochrane (SCU) 8-6