Women's Tennis Falls to Cal Poly
Feb. 7, 2003
SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. - The Santa Clara University women's tennis team fell to Cal Poly 5-2 this afternoon at the Mustang Tennis Courts. The Broncos' record moves to 2-1 on the season, while Cal Poly improves to 4-3.
The Broncos started the match off right with a victory in the top doubles spot, as senior Christine Limbers and sophomore Janalle Kaloi defeated Danielle Hustedt and Kate Romm 8-4. Santa Clara fell in the other two doubles matches.
Down 1-0 entering singles play, the Broncos could only pull out two wins. Limbers defeated Hustedt at No. 1 singles by a 7-5, 7-5 score, while sophomore Catherine Cochrane earned a three-set victory on court three, coming from behind 3-6, 6-3, 6-4 over Chelsy Thompson.
Santa Clara will continue driving down the coast and play CS Fullerton on the Saturday and UC Santa Barbara on Sunday. Both of those matches will take place at Santa Barbara on their respective dates at 10 a.m.
1. Christine Limbers (SCU) def. Danielle Hustedt (CP) 7-5, 7-5
2. Samantha Waller (CP) def. Janalle Kaloi (SCU) 6-2, 6-0
3. Catherine Cochrane (SCU) def. Chelsy Thompson (CP) 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
4. Kristen Grady (CP) def. Pati Ruiz (SCU) 6-3, 7-5
5. Shelia Lewis (CP) def. Nicole Jackson (SCU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Kate Romm (CP) def. Mariko Kawakami (SCU) 6-2, 6-1