Women's Tennis Falls to San Diego State 6-1
Feb. 22, 2003
HONOLULU, Hawaii - The Santa Clara University women's tennis team fell to 27th-ranked San Diego State 6-1 this afternoon in a match played at the University of Hawaii. The Broncos' record moves to 3-4 on the season.
The Broncos were out-played in doubles competition, but played well in singles. Sophomore Catherine Cochrane recorded Santa Clara's only point of the match, with a three-set victory over Katia Karrento.
In fact, the first four singles courts went to three sets, with sophomore Janalle Kaloi falling to Lindsey Hedberg and senior Christine Limbers falling to 66th-ranked Silvia Tornier in a super tiebreak. Fellow senior Pati Ruiz also fell in a super tiebreak.
Santa Clara remains in Honolulu and will take on host Hawaii Sunday afternoon. The Broncos will return home for a four-match homestand, starting with West Coast Conference rival Saint Mary's on Saturday, March 1. First serve is scheduled for 11 a.m.
1. Tornier/Erichsen (SDSU) def. Limbers/Kaloi (SCU) 8-4
2. Karrento/Romero (SDSU) def. Ashley Campbell /Cochrane (SCU) 8-0
3. Graf/Hedberg (SDSU) def. Kawakami/Ruiz (SCU) 8-1
1. No. 66 Silvia Tornier (SDSU) def. Christine Limbers (SCU) 5-7, 7-6 (3), (10-6)
2. Lindsey Hedberg (SDSU) def. Janalle Kaloi (SCU) 6-3, 2-6, 6-2
3. Catherine Cochrane (SCU) def. Katia Karrento (SDSU) 6-4, 2-6, 6-1
4. Patricia Graf (SDSU) def. Pati Ruiz (SCU) 5-7, 7-6 (5), (10-7)
5. Katalina Romero (SDSU) def. Casey Knutson (SCU) 6-0, 6-3
6. Indra Erichsen (SDSU) def. Mariko Kawakami (SCU) 6-1, 6-1