March 7, 2003
The Santa Clara University women's tennis team defeated West Coast Conference foe Portland Friday afternoon by a score of 7-0 at the Santa Clara University Tennis Center.
The Broncos won two of three doubles matches to win the doubles point, highlighted by Ashley Campbell and Jenny Siegel's 8-1 win over Kellee Menke and Sanja Indic. Christine Limbers and Pati Ruiz won their doubles match over Kaori Tanabe and Alyson Tyson by an 8-4 count.
All six singles matches were decided in straight sets including the number five and six players on the ladder. Freshman Nicole Jackson defeated Deirdre Ring-Marrinson by the scores of 6-0 and 6-2 while Mariko Kawakami defeated Menke by scores of 6-2 and 6-0.
The Broncos improved their overall record to 6-6 on the season while also upping their mark in the West Coast Conference to 3-1. The Pilots fell to 4-7 overall and 0-2 in the WCC.
Santa Clara returns to action against North Carolina Sunday at Noon at the SCU Tennis Center. Sunday's match will be the final home match of the year for Santa Clara as the Broncos will honor their outgoing seniors, Campbell, Kawakami, Limbers and Ruiz prior to the match.
1. Limbers/Ruiz(SCU) def. Tanabe/Tyson (POR) 8-4
2. Campbell/Siegel (SCU) def. Menke/Indic (POR) 8-1
3. Amy Juppenlatz/Ring-Marrinson (POR) def. Kawakami/ Catherine Cochrane (SCU) 8-6
1. Christine Limbers (SCU) def. Amy Juppenlatz (POR) 6-1, 6-2
2. Catherine Cochrane (SCU) def. Kaori Tanabe (POR) 2-6, 3-2 (Ret.)
3. Pati Ruiz (SCU) def. Sanja Indic (POR) 6-0, 6-3
4. Casey Knutson (SCU) def. Alyson Tyson (POR) 6-3, 6-2
5. Mariko Kawakami (SCU) def. Kellee Menke (POR) 6-2, 6-2
6. Nicole Jackson (SCU) def. Deirdre Ring-Marrinson (POR) 6-0, 6-2