Women's Tennis Tops NAU 5-1
April 5, 2003
FRESNO, Calif. - The Santa Clara University women's tennis team defeated Northern Arizona University 5-1 this afternoon in a match hosted by Fresno State at the Wathen Tennis Center. The Broncos improve to 9-8 on the season, while the Lumberjacks fall to 5-13.
The teams began the match yesterday, but was halted after an hour due to inclement weather. The teams picked up today where they left off yesterday and decided not to play doubles, as the Broncos clinched the victory with five singles wins.
"It was a really good win for us," SCU head coach Aby Ryan said. "They defeated San Diego and LMU earlier in the season, so this is a measuring stick of where we're at heading into the West Coast Conference tournament next week. We look forward to playing Fresno State tomorrow and pulling off a big win.
The Broncos will remain on the road and close out the regular season the host Bulldogs on Sunday. First serve is at 10 a.m. FSU is ranked 25th nationally by the ITA
1. Christine Limbers (SCU) def. Marjolein Klompmaker (NAU) 6-4, 6-1
2. Janalle Kaloi (SCU) def. Kristen Balk (NAU) 6-4, 6-1
3. Christina Klokinis (NAU) def. Catherine Cochrane (SCU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Pati Ruiz (SCU) def. Karen Kmiec (NAU) 6-4, 6-1
5. Casey Knutson (SCU) def. Ashley Dille (NAU) 7-5, 6-3
6. Mariko Kawakami (SCU) def. Julie Schmandt (NAU) 6-3, 6-1