April 11, 2003
MALIBU, Calif. - The Santa Clara University women's tennis team opened the West Coast Conference Championship this morning with a 6-1 victory over San Francisco. The Broncos, seeded fourth in the tournament, improve to 10-9 overall. San Francisco falls to 14-6. The tournament is being hosted by Pepperdine University at the Ralph-Straus Tennis Center.
Christine Limbers and Janalle Kaloi led the Broncos with a win in the top doubles position and remain a perfect 5-0 against league teams, but the Dons grabbed the other two courts, and took a 1-0 match lead heading into singles play.
It did not matter to the Broncos, as they swept singles play, with five of the six matches being won in straight sets. Kaloi led Santa Clara with her 16th win of the season, a 6-4, 6-3 victory over Don Anna Skogerboe on the second court. That victory also improved her record to 5-0 against conference opponents. Additionally, Mariko Kawakami did not yield a single game in her victory at the sixth singles slot.
The WCC Championships continue through Sunday. On Saturday, Santa Clara will play top-seeded Pepperdine in the semifinals. First serve is set for 1 p.m.
1. Christine Limbers (SCU) def. Gabi Ruiz (USF) 6-1, 5-7, (10-8)
2. Janalle Kaloi (SCU) def. Anna Skogerboe (USF) 6-4, 6-3
3. Catherine Cochrane (SCU) def. Carey Savage (USF) 6-1, 6-1
4. Pati Ruiz (SCU) def. Beate Bernhoft (USF) 6-3, 6-0
5. Casey Knutson (SCU) def. Michelle Duncan (USF) 6-1, 6-3
6. Mariko Kawakami (SCU) def. Stephanie Chang (USF) 6-0, 6-0