Stanford Tops Women's Tennis
March 23, 2004
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The Santa Clara University women's tennis team fell to top-ranked Stanford 7-0 this evening at the Taube Family Tennis Center. It was the Broncos' first match in more than two weeks, as the program recently completed winter quarter finals. SCU's record moves to 7-6, while the Cardinal remains undefeated at 14-0.
Santa Clara started strong at No. 1 doubles, as juniors Janalle Kaloi and Catherine Cochrane took a 2-0 lead over the nation's top-ranked doubles tandem of Lauren Barnikow and Erin Burdette. SCU held a 3-1 lead before the Stanford due found its groove and won seven straight games en route to victory. The Cardinal swept doubles to take the first point of the afternoon.
Stanford won each of the six singles matches to complete the sweep. Each Cardinal is ranked nationally in singles. Bronco freshman Kimberly Daniel battled on court five, but fell to No. 67 Emilia Anderson 6-3, 6-3 and saw her streak of seven wins at that position ended.
The Broncos return home for a Thursday contest against West Coast Conference opponent Gonzaga. First serve is scheduled for 11 a.m. at the Degheri Tennis Center.
No. 1 Stanford def. Santa Clara 7-0
1. No. 1 Barnikow/Burdette (STAN) def. Kaloi/Cochrane (SCU) 8-3
2. Barnes/Amber Liu (STAN) def. Erika Barnes /Leathers (SCU) 8-3
3. Anderson/Anne Yelsey (STAN) def. Jenny Siegel /Knutson (SCU) 8-4
1. No. 15 Alice Barnes (STAN) def. Janalle Kaloi (SCU) 6-0, 6-1
2. No. 19 Erin Burdette (STAN) def. Catherine Cochrane (SCU) 6-0, 6-1
3. No. 36 Lauren Barnikow (STAN) def. Casey Knutson (SCU) 6-0, 6-0
4. No. 24 Theresa Logar (STAN) def. Kelly Leathers (SCU) 6-0, 6-0
5. No. 67 Emilia Anderson (STAN) def. Kimberly Daniel (SCU) 6-3, 6-3
6. No. 49 Story Tweedie-Yates (STAN) def. Jessie Strunk (SCU) 6-1, 6-2