April 7, 2004
LOS GATOS, Calif. - The Santa Clara University women's tennis team defeated San Jose State 6-1 this afternoon at the Los Gatos Swim & Racquet Club. The Broncos are now 10-8 overall, while the Spartans fall to 5-6.
Today's contest is part of the two schools' Rivalry Series. SCU earned two points with today's win and now holds a 20-10 lead over the Spartans. With only one sport remaining, the Broncos have already clinched this year's championship. The annual winner of the series is determined by a points system based on head-to-head competition in the 13 sports in which the two schools compete.
Santa Clara clinched the doubles point with a 9-8 victory on court three by Casey Knutson and Jenny Siegel. The Broncos went on to take five of six singles contests, including a super-tiebreaker win for Catherine Cochrane after the team victory had already been secured.
The Broncos return to action on Saturday with a visit to Sacramento State. Santa Clara will return home to the Degheri Tennis Center on Friday, April 16, for its final home match of the season, hosting San Francisco. Both matches have scheduled 2 p.m. first serves.
Santa Clara def. San Jose State 6-1
1. Lukner/Lee (SJSU) def. Kaloi/Cochrane (SCU) 8-6
2. Barnes/Leathers (SCU) def. Harms/Larijani (SJSU) 8-1
3. Knutson/ Jenny Siegel (SCU) def. Koenigsfeld/Van (SJSU) 9-8
1. Janalle Kaloi (SCU) def. Elke Harms (SJSU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Catherine Cochrane (SCU) def. Kathy Van (SJSU) 7-5, 5-7, (10-7)
3. Casey Knutson (SCU) def. Roxanne Larijani (SJSU) 6-1, 6-0
4. Kelly Leathers (SCU) def. Ana Lukner (SJSU) 6-3, 1-0, ret.
5. Kimberly Daniel (SCU) def. June Lee (SJSU) 6-4, 6-2
6. Courtney Koenigsfeld (SJSU) def. Jessie Strunk (SCU) 3-6, 6-1, (10-8)