Women's Tennis Falls to Pepperdine
April 24, 2004
MORAGA, Calif. - The Santa Clara University women's tennis team dropped a 4-0 decision to top-seeded Pepperdine in the first semifinal of the 2004 West Coast Conference Championship. The event is hosted by Saint Mary's at the Korth Tennis Complex. The Broncos (12-11) will close tournament play on Sunday, fighting for third place against San Diego or Loyola Marymount at 1 p.m.
Tournament action continues through Sunday, and the winner will receive an automatic bid to the 2004 NCAA Championships, hosted on campus sites beginning May 14-16. Fans can follow WCC play online by Clicking Here.
Pepperdine is ranked 37th nationally and has won 15 of the last 16 league crowns, with Loyola Marymount earning a victory in 2002. San Diego is the second seed and ranked 49th nationally.
No. 37 Pepperdine def. Santa Clara 4-0
1. No. 33 Natalie Braverman (PEP) vs. Janalle Kaloi (SCU) DNF
2. Caroline Raba (PEP) def. Catherine Cochrane (SCU) 6-4, 6-1
3. No. 98 Charlotte Vernaz (PEP) def. Casey Knutson (SCU) 6-3, 6-1
4. Karin Schlapbach (PEP) vs. Kelly Leathers (SCU) DNF
5. Marve Asimgil (PEP) vs. Kimberly Daniel (SCU) DNF
6. Amy Walsh (PEP) def. Erika Barnes (SCU) 6-0, 6-3