April 25, 2004
MORAGA, Calif. - The Santa Clara University women's tennis team closed the 2004 season with a loss to Loyola Marymount at the 2004 West Coast Conference Championship. The 4-0 defeat gives the Broncos a fourth-place finish at the Tournament and a 12-12 overall record. The event is hosted by Saint Mary's at the Korth Tennis Complex.
Both teams were without key players. Junior Bronco Janalle Kaloi and her younger sister, Lion Kimi Kaloi, were unable to play due to a family emergency.
Honorable mention All-WCC singles honors were awarded to Kaloi and freshman Kelly Leathers. All-WCC doubles recognition were awarded to Kaloi and junior Catherine Cochrane, as well as Leathers and freshman Erika Barnes.
"The team has persevered through so much this season and this weekend is another testament to their will," head coach Tricia Guidace said. "I am proud of each player; they make up a special group of young women with a promising future ahead of them. Everybody stepped up this weekend and took care of each other. It's the heart of this team."
Loyola Marymount def. Santa Clara 4-0
1. Carla Arguellas (LMU) def. Catherine Cochrane (SCU) 6-2, 6-0
2. Robyn Baker (LMU) vs. Casey Knutson (SCU) DNF
3. Serena Fermin (LMU) vs. Kelly Leathers (SCU) DNF
4. Tamara Tanner (LMU) vs. Kimberly Daniel (SCU) DNF
5. Jennifer Baker (LMU) def. Erika Barnes (SCU) 6-0, 6-4
6. Erin Ivey (LMU) def. Jessie Strunk (SCU) 6-0, 7-5