Women's Tennis Falls to Loyola Marymount
March 6, 2005
MORAGA, Calif. - The Santa Clara University women's tennis team fell to Loyola Marymount 5-2 this morning in their second West Coast Conference match of the season. The Broncos' record falls to 6-4 overall, 1-1 in league play. The Lions improve to 4-7, 3-2.
The Lions swept the doubles matches with 8-6, 8-3, 8-3 victories In singles, Santa Clara sophomore Kelly Leathers earned a straight-set victory over Serena Fermin 6-3, 6-2 on court two. Senior Catherine Cochrane posted a come-from-behind victory over Tamara Tanner on court three to complete Bronco scoring, overcoming a 2-5 third-set deficit, including 6-7 in the tiebreak.
"I'm really happy with how we came out and really laid it on the line," head coach Damon Coupe said. "It was an excellent fight by all of the girls. We had our opportunities during the match; it was a hard-fought battle. There was no match that was a walk-over. I'm really happy with their efforts."
Santa Clara returns to home to face Cal State Northridge on March 20. The match is scheduled for noon at the Degheri Tennis Center.
1. Kaloi/Tanner (LMU) def. Kaloi/Leathers (SCU) 8-6
2. Ivey/Fermin (LMU) def. Cochrane/Daniel (SCU) 8-3
3. Arguelles/ Hubl (LMU) def. Barnes/J. Strunk (SCU) 8-3
1. Carla Arguelles (LMU) def. Janalle Kaloi (SCU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Kelly Leathers (SCU) def. Serena Fermin (LMU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Catherine Cochrane (SCU) def. Tamara Tanner (LMU) 3-6, 6-2, 7-6 (7)
4. Kimi Kaloi (LMU) def. Erika Barnes (SCU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Erin Ivey (LMU) def. Kimberly Daniel (SCU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Patrycia Hubl (LMU) def. Jessie Strunk (SCU) 3-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-7)