Women's Tennis Rallies to Defeat New Orleans
March 24, 2005
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The Santa Clara University women's tennis team bested New Orleans 4-3 this afternoon at the Degheri Tennis Center. Santa Clara improves to 8-4 on the season. The Privateers' record is now 7-3.
The match started Wednesday afternoon, but was unable to be completed due to inclement weather. Eight hours and two locations after the match had started, New Orleans held a 3-2 team lead when play was suspended last night.
Sophomore Kimberly Daniel's match at No. 5 singles was the only contest in progress. She overcame a first-set deficit yesterday to win 6-7, 6-4, 6-4 today and tie the match at 3-3, forcing doubles to be played, where the Broncos won at the top two positions.
"The team just showed an extreme amount of guts; this was a 22-hour match," head coach Damon Coupe explained. "We very easily could have folded with all the distractions and delays. This team just never quit, on themselves or each other. They hung tough, stayed in it and battled back. When it got to the doubles, they looked to dominate and they did. It's just a great win. New Orleans is a tough squad and our team had to hunker down and come through and they did. I'm just so proud of them."
Santa Clara returns to action next month, with participation in a tournament hosted by UC Irvine April 1-3. The Broncos will also visit West Coast Conference rival Saint Mary's on April 6 in Moraga before returning home to host San Francisco on April 8.
1. Kaloi/Leathers (SCU) def. Zembski/Hrovatic (UNO) 8-1
2. Cochrane/Barnes (SCU) def. Mazinova/Dangond (UNO) 8-5
3. Veerman/Fogelberg (UNO) def. Daniel/J. Strunk (SCU) 8-0
1. Lucie Mazinova (UNO) def. Kelly Leathers (SCU) 6-1, 7-5
2. Laetitia Zembski (UNO) def. Janalle Kaloi (SCU) 4-6, 7-5, 6-2
3. Catherine Cochrane (SCU) def. Inge Veerman (UNO) 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
4. Erika Barnes (SCU) def. Tanja Hrovatic (UNO) 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
5. Kimberly Daniel (SCU) def. Angela Maria Dangond (UNO) 6-7 (6), 6-4, 6-4
6. Michaela Fogelberg (UNO) def. Jessie Strunk (SCU) 6-3, 6-1