April 1, 2005
IRVINE, Calif. - The Santa Clara University women's tennis team opened action at the UC Irvine Spring Invitational with a 7-0 sweep over Idaho State this morning at Anteater Tennis Stadium. Santa Clara improves to 9-4 on the season with the victory, while the Bengals' record is now 1-8.
"It was a good match," head coach Damon Coupe said. "The girls looked to dominate early and they stayed mentally sharp throughout the whole match."
Santa Clara swept doubles play, and did not cede a single game at the top two spots. The teams moved on to singles, where the Broncos' were led by Kelly Leathers' 6-1, 6-1 victory over Denise Cockrell at the No. 1 position.
Santa Clara will face the winner of the New Mexico State/Nevada contest at 9 a.m. on Saturday morning and will conclude tournament action on Sunday. The Broncos will then visit West Coast Conference rival Saint Mary's on April 6 in Moraga before returning home to the Degheri Tennis Center to host San Francisco on April 8.
1. Kaloi/Leathers (SCU) def. Zigars/Sarkavagyan (ISU) 8-0
2. Cochrane/Barnes (SCU) def. Peach/Cockrell (ISU) 8-0
3. Daniel/J. Strunk (SCU) def Espinosa/Courtney Bennion (ISU) 8-3
1. Kelly Leathers (SCU) def. Denise Cockrell (ISU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Janalle Kaloi (SCU) def. Armine Sarkavagyan (ISU) 6-1, 6-3
3. Catherine Cochrane (SCU) def. Valerie Espinosa (ISU) 6-3, 6-1
4. Erika Barnes (SCU) def. Katherine Zigars (ISU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Kimberly Daniel (SCU) def. Quinlan Hatch (ISU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Jessie Strunk (SCU) def. Kacey Peach (ISU) 6-1, 6-0